New Gibson "Vintage Tuner"

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@jick-jackson)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey all my new friends,

Being the dumbsheeat that I am, I knocked over my LP last night. It's the LP studio from about 2000. Long story short (hopefully):

Broke the high E tuner peg off including the back plate
I would love to find a single to replace it as the cheapest set of 6 I can find (I can't find a single and I even checked ebay which I have lost faith in) is 45 bucks and they are the gold when the rest of the hw is chrome. For chrome it's closer to 60 bucks. I tried all of the repair shops in mpls too. Where can you get one tuner? It's not like they are rare, they are on bottom side of a lot of gibbys made in large numbers.

There are two things I'm asking here:
1) Where the heck can I get a similar tuner after checking everywhere in town and online?*
2) Should I take my lumps and just replace the whole set because these ones really kind of suck anyway?**

* would be better because I'm doing work on two guitars already and confusing the two due to my advancing CRS syndrome.
** would be better because I could probably almost immediately find a better set from a different brand but possibly end up putting the wrong set on the wrong guitar noticing after about 4 strings (and drilling all the holes)

Any advice appreciated, I wanted to replace this whole set at some time in the future but not now, but I can't find a single bottoms side tuner. The price for set of replacements alone makes me want to find something better which will require my attention unless someone makes a drop-in set.

Peace All,
Jicky

Wait, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?
Visit The Best Show on WFMU at wfmu.org

(@dick-wolkendeck)

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Divisions/Gibson%20Gear/Accessories/Replacement%20Parts/Machine%20Heads/

Just ask your local dealer to order these. One should do.

Cheers!

http://www.seraphique.com

The big secret to get lots of stuff is to never get rid of anything.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@jick-jackson)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the input, fellow guitar nuts!

I actually did try stewmac but couldn't find anything similar except for the vintage 3-on-a-plate style. Also couldn't find any singles but dealing with them before many times, they may do it if I call em. I bought the bigsby and roller bridge for my Reverend from them at a great price and had a few questions before installing that they answered thoroughly. Also emailed Reverend at the time (they were still made or at least assembled in US then) and got a response from Joe Naylor himself (I wish they would've caught on more, I don't think the current ones compare to the older ones). For those reading this that haven't signed up for stewmac's tech tips email list, do it! Many of them are written by Dan Erlewine who knows a thing or a million about altering/maintaining guitars.

I also noticed that stewmac has a set of locking sperzels (I think they rule) for only 60 bucks so I may just do the dang conversion already...and buy a new nut at the same time, which is also on my list for this guitar. Ha! I can't believe the money I spend that no one but me will ever notice!

If a dealer can order one, I may go that route just to get through the downtime the breakage has caused.

Thanks again for the replies.

Peace,
Jick

Wait, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?
Visit The Best Show on WFMU at wfmu.org

ReplyQuote