Skip to content
New Guitar Prices -...

Notifications
Clear all

New Guitar Prices - Sales, Markdowns, Discounts?

33 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

It's usually the pickups, occasionally rewiring/new pots, sometimes the bigsby.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

yea i was thinking about getting another and adding a bigsby

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

The other thing to look for is a good local store that does used equipment. These are pretty rare if you're not near a big city, but most larger towns have one or two. I don't mean pawn shops here either. Rather, a music store that specializes in buying, reconditioning and selling vintage equipment.

Such stores will typically cater to the higher end guitar market (since lower end stuff isn't worth their time). However, they will almost always have a few lower-end used guitars that they've come across. And you can very often get increadible deals out of them.

Lots of times they buy stuff in lots, such as "all the guitars from an estate" type purchases. Well, they really only wanted that 1957 L-5, the 1994 Fender MIM strat that came with it isn't really worth their time so they'll let it go for a song.

If you visit such a place regularly you can even get to the point where they'll start keeping an eye out for whatever it is you're looking for and call you if they find it. You don't have to spend tons of cash to make this happen, just be a nice guy that buys your picks from them and visit often.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@gadlaw)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Closeouts happen...

http://www.music123.com/Washburn-HB30-Exclusive-Finish-i263689.music

Temping to buy one. Just 'cause its $200

Ahh, never heard of this place. Onoe more link in my 'guitar retail' folder.

Enjoy your karma, after all you earned it.
http://www.gadlaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@gadlaw)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

The other thing to look for is a good local store that does used equipment. These are pretty rare if you're not near a big city, but most larger towns have one or two. I don't mean pawn shops here either. Rather, a music store that specializes in buying, reconditioning and selling vintage equipment.

Such stores will typically cater to the higher end guitar market (since lower end stuff isn't worth their time). However, they will almost always have a few lower-end used guitars that they've come across. And you can very often get increadible deals out of them.

Lots of times they buy stuff in lots, such as "all the guitars from an estate" type purchases. Well, they really only wanted that 1957 L-5, the 1994 Fender MIM strat that came with it isn't really worth their time so they'll let it go for a song.

If you visit such a place regularly you can even get to the point where they'll start keeping an eye out for whatever it is you're looking for and call you if they find it. You don't have to spend tons of cash to make this happen, just be a nice guy that buys your picks from them and visit often.

I hadn't even thought of that, estate sales being a source of guitars and local guitar/music stores being out there buying them. At my local store there is a corner of used/on consignment guitars I've looked at - like some prb or prs guitars, you know brands I've never heard of. Estate sales, I've been to one before it seemed so depressing being in someone's house after they were recently deceased. I remember looking at little throw pillows, little lime green pillows with tags on them and thought to myself that these were probably bought in the 70's and had been in this house all that time and here they are - $2 dollars each. Freaked me out.

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

Interesting tidbit on this topic. I got an email a day or two again about this "Green Tag sale" at Guitar center that was starting today. Well, I hadn't made my weekly lunchtime trip over there, so I decided to do that today.

I didn't look at any of the electrics, but in the acoustic room there were several guitars with the green tag. The guys working there had just slipped the green tag price in the little sleeve on top of the normal price tag. I picked up a Parkwood jumbo and compared the the green tag price to the previous price behind it. It was a good 20% off. Pretty cool! Then, I saw a Gibson with $1899 as the green tag. I picked it up and behind it was.... $1899. I picked up one more green tag guitar, same thing, no discount at all.

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
(@gadlaw)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

also by washburn, http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Electric?sku=514013
i have had one now for several years and see no reason to upgrade it.

$149 and from what i've read MF has a better return policy then 123

do a search here at GN for OE-30, there are several threads

A beautiful guitar TwistedLefty. And now I've looked at this guitar at MF. Which almost brings me around to my original thoughts about this. The thoughts that I don't know enough to make intelligent decisions about the worth of sales to get the best deal for myself when I'm shopping or even just browsing the stores and then finding the item I can't leave without. I'd hate to miss a great deal because I didn't know what a good deal was. This looks like a good deal. I"ve got 'semi-hollowbody' on my list of eventual gets. Thanks for all the imput everyone, it's all going into the memory banks and it's helping me feel better about my future purchases.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Interesting tidbit on this topic. I got an email a day or two again about this "Green Tag sale" at Guitar center that was starting today. Well, I hadn't made my weekly lunchtime trip over there, so I decided to do that today.

I didn't look at any of the electrics, but in the acoustic room there were several guitars with the green tag. The guys working there had just slipped the green tag price in the little sleeve on top of the normal price tag. I picked up a Parkwood jumbo and compared the the green tag price to the previous price behind it. It was a good 20% off. Pretty cool! Then, I saw a Gibson with $1899 as the green tag. I picked it up and behind it was.... $1899. I picked up one more green tag guitar, same thing, no discount at all.

wish i knew you were going, next time please give a heads up . i would appreciate it if you would check out a
Fender DG 22 S with bubinga back and sides.
since MF is now a subsidiary of GC i would like to get input from someone here who has actually put hands on one. hopefully they both carry the same guitar. thanx in advance if you are able to check it out for me

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@phinnin)
Estimable Member

I must have "slipped" and accidentally hit the ORDER button (*wink wink*). Got one of those OE-30's on the way. Its too good a deal to pass up on.

What do you folks think of that "slipped" story? Think my wife will buy it? :)

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

wish i knew you were going, next time please give a heads up . i would appreciate it if you would check out a
Fender DG 22 S with bubinga back and sides.
since MF is now a subsidiary of GC i would like to get input from someone here who has actually put hands on one. hopefully they both carry the same guitar. thanx in advance if you are able to check it out for me

Sure, I'll PM you when I go next. I go at least once a week, so it won't be too long :D

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
(@gadlaw)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I must have "slipped" and accidentally hit the ORDER button (*wink wink*). Got one of those OE-30's on the way. Its too good a deal to pass up on.

Humm, I'm thinking that you would have to change the story to 'uncontrolled spasms' since it would take more than one click to get you through all the purchase screens. This is assuming you had already had your info stored in there like at Amazon where if you buy something you can save your info and afterwards like three or four click your way to a completed order. If not hopefully you have wireless and a laptop and that the signal reaches all the way to the doghouse so you can let us know how the guitar plays for you. For you and the dog I mean. Hope you have a dog. :)

ReplyQuote
(@phinnin)
Estimable Member

Uncontrolled Spasms.... I like it.

That would need to be the explanation since I had to enter my information in several times and eventually had to call the 800 number to place the order. Of course, I won't mention that part.

Yep, got a dog and she and I cuddle real well together. I won't need it though, the wife is still supportive of my new hobby. Mainly because I haven't pulled the trigger on a $3000 Gibson yet. I emphasize YET.

I see all these references to GAS. I dont' know exactly what it stands for yet, but I can sure guess. The "A" must stand for addiction.

My music teacher is having me work on various jazz chords right now. Hence the need for a hollowbody... Its a Jazz guitar.... right?!

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i doubt it, be warned that this guitar is made at 3 plants that i know of. the first one i purchased (chinese) played and was set up fine but the finish looked like it was applied by a blind man with tremors, the second one i got was made in indonesia and was very nice including the set up. like i mentioned earlier search the GN forums for threads on the OE-30 and you will find a lot of info from others. btw which one did you pick?
also the epiphone case i bought for mine was on sale at the time. it's for a 335 style and will fit it fine reguardless of what they try to tell you at MF. i think the case is now selling for $69

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@gadlaw)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

i doubt it, be warned that this guitar is made at 3 plants that i know of. the first one i purchased (chinese) played and was set up fine but the finish looked like it was applied by a blind man with tremors, the second one i got was made in indonesia and was very nice including the set up. like i mentioned earlier search the GN forums for threads on the OE-30 and you will find a lot of info from others. btw which one did you pick?
also the epiphone case i bought for mine was on sale at the time. it's for a 335 style and will fit it fine reguardless of what they try to tell you at MF. i think the case is now selling for $69

This is one of the things that worries me with buying from MF or other online retailers- the business of getting something sight unseen. Fine and dandy for books, dvds, music, woolen hats, computer parts, software, pots and pans, - but a musical instrument of the guitar variety has me worried. TwistedLefty has bought a number of the one guitar under discussion and now knows about the various places where they are made and the quality from each place. Great information that you can't know from looking at the picture of the $200 dollar or so guitar. There are the comments associated with each site which are supposed to be reviews and such but how trustworty does anyone think they are? But still and all, $150 -200 or so - almost worth the shot. I mean only for electric. I don't see how I could pick up a acoustic online without hearing it. I think. I'm not sure. (scratches head, mumbles to self, pushes shopping cart down the street)

ReplyQuote
(@phinnin)
Estimable Member

I went with the sunburst one, but I didn't see any way of determining country of manufacture. Let me know if I went wrong and i will change it real fast. They haven't shipped yet.

*edit* been looking for more info on this board but no more detail thus far.... Can anyone advise re: manufacture origin?

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3