Clear all

Yes...I finally learned pinch harmonics

21 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@andrewlubinus89)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Yep, I finally learned them. It takes me forever to figure out techniques from the internet because I never really get what I am exactly supposed to do. But I finally figured them out and their fun for crazy dymanics and you can even hear them clearly on my acoustic. Fun stuff.

Yeah, most of you guys probably don't care but I just have to tell someone. I ran around my house trying to explain the concept of harmonics and the difference between them and natural/artificial to my apathetic family but I gave up after two minutes.

So yeah...

A hoopy frood knows where his towel is....

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Congrats!

Now you can teach me! :D

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@cyranodb)
Estimable Member

man, I don't even know what a harmonic is.

"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it, that's a technical term." - SRV

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I'm still not even sure what pinch harmonics are.....someone suggested listening to "Legs" by ZZ Top, said that was a good example.....is he right? And how do you do pinch harmonics?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member

Pinched Harmonics are that sweet high pitched squeel you here on heavy metal solos (the ones where you wonder how the hell they do it).Not that hard to do but takes years to master.Its basically hitting the string with the plectrum and the edge of your thumb almost simultaneously.

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

ReplyQuote
(@havocdragon)
Trusted Member

Listen to lots of Zakk Wylde stuff, and you will hear many many pinched harmonics (also known as 'squealies'). Thats great that you learned them Andrew =). Now you can expriment doing them in different places with your right hand (produces different pitches).

Many animals were harmed in the making of this signature.

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

I'm still not even sure what pinch harmonics are.....someone suggested listening to "Legs" by ZZ Top, said that was a good example.....is he right? And how do you do pinch harmonics?Wow, good timing, Vic. The March issue of Guitar One has Billy F. Gibbons on the cover, and a lesson inside (and on the included CD) by Billy. He does discuss pinch harmonics briefly.
From there, it's practice, practice, practice. "Grab that slab, plug it in, and tear it up."
"A'how, how, how to play the blues." 8)

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member

squealies- ha I like that.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@martin-6)
Honorable Member

I'm sure I have heard pinch harmonics before with vibrato added. How is this done, is it with the tremelo arm because I was under the impression that no note was fretted when playing a harmonic?

ReplyQuote
(@m07zm4n)
Estimable Member

As far as I know pinched harmonics are "produced" by fretting any note and then plugging the string with your pick but immediately lightly toching it again with a part of your strumming hand (eg thumb).
I think you can create this harmonics with every fretted note on the guitar.
The principle of harmonics remains always the same. divide any lenght of a string by lightly touching it so only a specific range of frequencies stays hearable.

And yeah you can add vibrato or bends, that'll make for some crazy sounds :lol:

...one day I'm getting them right... :roll:

NO MORE THEORY!!
um...
KNOW MORE THEORY!!!!

<------>
motz
<------>

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

I was under the impression that no note was fretted when playing a harmonic?

Those are touch harmonics, Martin - pinch harmonics are done with the right (picking) hand, normally on fretted notes, and of course vibrato is a great addition to the sound. Here's a good article with clips http://www.cyberfret.com/techniques/harmonics/pinch/index.php on the basics.

You'll find pinch harmonics are commonly spoken of done on downstrokes; I don't know who else does it, but I use them on upstrokes a lot, using the flesh of my forefinger to 'pinch' - 'brush' would be more descriptive - the string lightly. Delicious effect - takes practice but feels and sounds wonderful 8)

Something not everyone mentions: it's actually easier to get these sounding right at least initially with plenty of gain - a nice thick sound works easiest, which is why these are so good on a Les Paul - but you'll find lovely subtle clean-ish effects are possible once you get into it. Think Tele or Strat neck pickup on a Blues Jnr ... these sound especially tasty on the upstrokes I mentioned.

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

aha - so that's what they're called...
Have been practicing some lately too. Can make them, but not yet really use them in playing - practice more, practice more!! I've found out that straightening the index finger a little on downstrokes works pretty well. Then it is just about finding out where on the strings they sound (good).

PVTele: that is a great technique - have to angle the hand so that the front (well, closest to the headstock) of the pick hits the string first and then the index finger - dunno if that's what you mean, but it seems to work for me - thanks

Lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

PVTele: that is a great technique - have to angle the hand so that the front (well, closest to the headstock) of the pick hits the string first and then the index finger - dunno if that's what you mean, but it seems to work for me - thanks

Lars

Absolutely, Lars, that's exactly what I meant! 8) Great that it's working for you - you'll find it comes very easy in a while, fits right into the flow of the solo - I just have to watch I don't overdo it & so spoil the effect!

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@andrewlubinus89)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Kind of off topic but I was inspired to learn by watching this video

http://www.youtube.com/w/Dimebag-Squealing-Lesson?v=oFnoOm7q1jg&search=dimebag

I'ts dimebags way of getting those "squealies" and it's sweet. My electric guitar cable is broken so I couldn't learn those so instead I learned the pinch harmonics.

A hoopy frood knows where his towel is....

ReplyQuote
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member

Quote:

Lars

I think thats a slightly different tehnique to pinched harmonics.With that technique you can move your picking hand up and down the fret board in relation to your fretting hand to acheive a different harmonic.

I may be wrong!

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2