Clear all

Yes...I finally learned pinch harmonics

21 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

Quote:
PVTele: that is a great technique - have to angle the hand so that the front (well, closest to the headstock) of the pick hits the string first and then the index finger - dunno if that's what you mean, but it seems to work for me - thanks

Lars

I think thats a slightly different tehnique to pinched harmonics.With that technique you can move your picking hand up and down the fret board in relation to your fretting hand to acheive a different harmonic.

I may be wrong!

So you do with this, Bobble - it's just the same as the thumb 'pinch' on the downstroke - only this is a forefinger 'pinch' on the upstroke. Where your hand is along the line from bridge to neck determines the exact harmonic - just as it does with the 'traditional pinch'!

ReplyQuote
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member

Ok,
Thought the "forefinger pinch"might be called something else and didn't want anyone to get confused as to wether they should be using their thumb of forefinger.

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

Ok,
Thought the "forefinger pinch"might be called something else and didn't want anyone to get confused as to wether they should be using their thumb of forefinger.

Maybe it is :wink:

I've never heard of it being called anything else, and I can't recall having seen it even described precisely as Lars & I do it. The nearest I've seen is this lesson http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/guitar_techniques/pinch_harmonics.html but he's advising trailing your middle finger onto the string. That would feel awkward and slow to me, but each to his own in this as in all techniques :wink: If it works for you, use it, but don't prescribe it for the next guy. IMHO, only the very best teachers really understand the truth of this!

ReplyQuote
(@johnin510)
Trusted Member

I know that certain areas from the neck pickup to the bridge pickup (and up on the neck for that matter) if you "pinch" the string with the edge of the pick you will get a harmonic. Different areas on the string, you can get different tones of the harmonic. One of the first things I learned playing.....really adds to your phrasing of solos. Listen to Zakk Wylde, George Lynch and Joe Satriani......they use them quite frequently.

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member

I have actually been practicing these quite a bit tonight because there is a few in a "i believe in a thing called love" song I have been practicing tonight. I found that actually pinching the string between my index and pick and then playing it works pretty well.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@martin-6)
Honorable Member

I have found that quite a good technique is to pinch the string between the underside of the pick and the nail of your index finger, and then twist the pick to make the note ring out. I can get the harmonic consistently but have never practised it enough to be able to use it a solo.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2