Clear all

New player

28 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

As Nils said, you can go to the home page and get lost for weeks!

Okay, okay.. I will do the inevitable "Theres a HOME page?" :oops:

Welcome to the best place on the net.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

I'll add my welcome to the list.

Your guitar looks identical to my Yamaha Pacifica 112, which was my first guitar. A truely excellent instrument to begin on, and one you'll keep and enjoy. A very comfortable guitar. After a few weeks of playing with it you might want to get it set up professionally if you haven't already. It will play much better.

There's lots of information here and best of all there's lots of help from people that have been where you are right now and will be more than willing to bring you along over the rough spots.

Play. The more you play the more you'll enjoy it. The more you enjoy it the more you'll play.

You can put your TV on EBay now. You won't be using it much anymore.

Best of luck,
Michael

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

this must be where all the nice people on the internet hang out. :P

That's what they all say, and then there's the running and screaming, blood, verbal accosting, etc.

Oh Yeah, welcome aboard.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@tkn_dk)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Any wagers on how long before he gets his first case of GAS? I've got ten bucks on a month--especially if he visits the forums regularly! :twisted:

Hehe...that's already happened, I'm afraid. I'd love to have a Les Paul (not necessarily the most expensive and exclusive model there is...I just really like the look of them), but I've made myself a deal; if I learn to play half decently by my birthday (roughly 6 months from now), I can go look for a birthday present for myself. :P

All I want is food and creative love.

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

You know, we should (GN members) get a discount from MF or better yet they should sponsor GN since I'm pretty sure we have probably sent some of there kids to college :lol: :lol: :lol: --the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Welcome! Have fun on your journey! [cue Journey song in background] :)

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@andrewlubinus89)
Estimable Member

Hehe...that's already happened, I'm afraid. I'd love to have a Les Paul (not necessarily the most expensive and exclusive model there is...I just really like the look of them), but I've made myself a deal; if I learn to play half decently by my birthday (roughly 6 months from now), I can go look for a birthday present for myself. :P

I told myself that if I got good enough to play freebird and eruption (high goals to keep my gas in check) I would allow myself to take up violin. Here I am researching teachers and beginner violins halfway through the first riff in eruption. :D

I don't really care as now I don't really mind about playing slow but am working on more important things (ear training and rhythm) but the story goes to show that goals don't always work the way you think :D

A hoopy frood knows where his towel is....

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to GuitarNoise tkn dk.

Hang around, we have lots of fun here. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

You know, we should (GN members) get a discount from MF or better yet they should sponsor GN since I'm pretty sure we have probably sent some of there kids to college :lol: :lol: :lol: --the dog

I think I brought that up a loooooooong time ago. Except GN would get the money for the reference. As you can see, it didn't go anywhere! :cry: :cry: :cry:

ReplyQuote
(@tkn_dk)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I've been working on A Horse With No Name following David Hodge's article, but I couldn't for the life of me get it to sound right, so I played the song to see if I could hear what I wasn't doing right, but nothing jumped out at me. Then I started strumming along as I felt like to the song, which led to a different strumming pattern than what the article suggests (and which I will work on a bit more and see where it leads me), but I realized that when just playing what felt right, I was playing much faster. So then I went back to the original pattern and did it in the same tempo and it sounded right! Course it's still far from perfect, and I miss a string on a strum here or there, or don't get the chord transition quite right, or miss a beat and mess up, or any number of things go wrong, but I've strummed something and made it sound like I wanted it to. Quite a rush and a great feeling of accomplishment, I have to say.

And I just had to share my first great experience with my guitar. :P

All I want is food and creative love.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Congrats. It's quite a rush. I still remember the night. Same tune even.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

Good Job. I love that feel, when you say to yourself "Wow, I think I can do this."

By the by, it's okay to miss a string on a strum.

Keep Rockin'.

Mike

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Quite a rush and a great feeling of accomplishment, I have to say.

And I just had to share my first great experience with my guitar. :P

That is terrific news. I dont know if you'll ever get to the point where you play with NO mistakes. Its just getting use to minimizing them and playing through it I think. But then again its only been 9months for me.

Keep at it. One day at a time.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2