New Scales.

9 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@hawkfoggy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys,

I've been soloing with both pentatonic and aolian scales and they've benn sounden pretty good but i can't get any originality out of them. my solution, new scales. but i don't know any so could some one give some formulas or even tab would be good. but if you do tab then also include the formula please so i can get the notes for the rest of the scale. preffably rock/metal but anything works.

Rock it
IN CHRIST
Hawk

"I'm as free as a bird now. And this bird you can not change" Free Bird, By: Lynyrd Skynyrd
GIT SNAKE BIT!!!
stay safe

(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I've got a fair few in on ChordsAndScales.co.uk with notes, fretboard layout and formula.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@jasonrunguitar)
Reputable Member

As far as new scales go, perhaps give the major blues scale a shot; I think it sounds really "different" but in a good way, if you know what I mean. But if you're looking for originality, perhaps the answer could lie beyond scales. Like, if you're playing, and you "feel" what the next note should be (you know, the one that just sounds right in your head), take some time to figure out where that note is on the guitar, and play it, regardless of whether or not it falls in the scale pattern. Originality is all about playing that song in your head that no one else has hear before :smile:

-Jason
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To those about to rock, we salute you!
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonwittenbach

ReplyQuote
(@ab0msnwman)
Estimable Member

easy solution here, and a fun one too . . . learn some actual solos by bands/artists you like

it will probably show you how much mileage you can get out of that pentatonic scale and even open up some new ideas to you etc.

plus you'll learn some time proven riffs!

good luck

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Here is a pretty good site that will give you just about any type of scale you're looking for in any key you want:

http://www.looknohands.com/chordhouse/guitar/index_rb.html

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@smokehouse)
Honorable Member

hey dan thats just what i have been searching for !! nice one smoke

:WHO INVENTED WORK SHOULD COME BACK AND FINISH THE JOB OFF: http://www.soundclick.com/bartin

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Originality and innovativity don't have much to do with scales but how you use them.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I gotta agree with Arjen on this.

The problem you identify is that you don't feel you're using scales creatively. Learning more scales doesn't address that problem at all. Indeed, it kind of avoids it altogether.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Agree with A & K: It's not the scales or the notes in them, but how you are choosing to play them. You probably need to explore tension and resolution, phrasing, rhythmic patterns, dynamics, chromatics and passing tones, intervals ... the list goes on ...

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote