New-year resolutions anyone?

23 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

#1. Practice Scales for 5 minutes a day. I know, you go over and it's too small an amount of time. Gotta start small.

Well, 5 minutes with scales playing 8ths at 120bpm is .... 1200 tones i.e. you can play all 12 major scales up and down again 6,25 times - just increase your tempo to Presto, start playing 16ths and you will probably cover every scale in every tune... :) - good suggestion though!

Lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

#1. Practice Scales for 5 minutes a day. I know, you go over and it's too small an amount of time. Gotta start small.

Well, 5 minutes with scales playing 8ths at 120bpm is .... 1200 tones i.e. you can play all 12 major scales up and down again 6,25 times - just increase your tempo to Presto, start playing 16ths and you will probably cover every scale in every tune... :) - good suggestion though!

Lars

At my age adn as late a start as I got to this, that'd be something.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I would like to try to learn 10 or 15 Christmas songs by next year. Well enough to make them "my own". Its seems like that is one time of year where there is a terrific oppotunity to play for friends and family. I want to be able to take advantage of that.

Short quick list

Silent Night - Done
Infant Holy, Infant Lowly - Current Project
We Three Kings
Little Drummer Boy
Oh Come All Ye Faithful
Away In A Manger
Amazing Grace
In The Bleak Midwinter

Maybe even write a couple originals.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Lars

At my age adn as late a start as I got to this, that'd be something.

It was a joke...! but nobody seems to understand them... Honestly, 5 minutes of really practicing scales is *a lot* more than not exercising scales. Myself, I'm extremely bad at practicing systematically. I allways end up just playing something, or playing the same thing over and over again. 5 minutes is actually good, cuz then you have the time to have some fun with the guitar too! Next year I will really start practicing!

- "it's been a long, long time coming, but I know, a change is gonna come - Oh yes it will"

:)
Lars

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I would like to try to learn 10 or 15 Christmas songs by next year.

Geoo

The important thing about christmas songs is to remmeber to rehears them during summer. I usually end up in mid-december thinking it would've been cool to do something to all these nice songs - well next year maybe... :)

Lars

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

It was a joke...! but nobody seems to understand them... Honestly, 5 minutes of really practicing scales is *a lot* more than not exercising scales. Myself, I'm extremely bad at practicing systematically. I allways end up just playing something, or playing the same thing over and over again. 5 minutes is actually good, cuz then you have the time to have some fun with the guitar too! Next year I will really start practicing!

- "it's been a long, long time coming, but I know, a change is gonna come - Oh yes it will"

:)
Lars

Actually, I was just at a guitar clinic (gary Hoey no less) and he was talking about something similar. Start slow and gradually get faster until you can get up to <xxxxxx>, and then he went off on scales like it was child's play.

Humor is often based on thruths. :)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I dont make resolutions as I either cant fullfill them or I get distracted and end up doing something else.

however, I do set goals:
get my black belt
get a girlfriend
get busy
start my recording projectstop buying guitars for one year.

simple. :roll:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@nolongerme)
Honorable Member

1. set up a time to practice every day
2. get in a band, or make a band
3. scales
4. write more songs
5. work toward a specific goal :)
6. repeat the first five