No Capo what now ??

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

:arrow: hello 8)

Okay i've been trying to learn this new song ( cant say what :oops: )

anyway i need a capo at the 3rd fret but i don't have one. so being smart i thought i would just do this hold E on 3rd fret = G and the tune my e to G :D

only problem is i'm not sure if putting so much strain on the neck of the guitar is a good thing. plus can that be done ? if not what else am i to do .

it's about 13:00 here so all local muso shops are closed.

Thanks

Minus Human

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Going up a minor third with all strings will put more stress on the neck, unless you change to a thinner string gauge, and you'll also risk breaking strings.

Other options:

1. Learn it with all barre forms. When you get a capo, this won't mess with your mind at all - the barre forms will still be in the same places on the neck (but 3rd fret barres will become open chords)

2. Transpose the tune. If the first chord is a G major, and it's played with 3rd fret capo, count up 3 frets from G - you'll find that note is Bb. Instead of playing the G form, play the Bb form. You'll get the same harmony this way, but the voicings will change from the original... and you might end up with some tricky chords to finger

3. Learn it a minor third lower. That might make it tough to sing, and you won't be able to play along with the recording very easily, but when you do get a capo, you'll be able to move it up.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote