Clear all

No! NO! My nail!

22 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@jonsi)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

300 m, good question. It depends on how much you use them - if you play it stimulates them to grow faster.

Say a month (for the thumb and the ringfinger, the other two will be long enough in shorter time), give or take a couple of weeks.

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

Thanks,
John

John M

ReplyQuote
(@elijahbaley)

A few days before a gig, I did something stupid and lost the nail of my right ring finger. About a third of the songlist required fingerpicking style including some classical pieces. There was not enough nail left to do anything so I tried to ignore all embarrassment and forced myself to go the local nail tech at the shopping mall. It cost me a few bucks for a new nail but that nail lasted for about 6 weeks before the natural nail was long enough to survive by itself.

I was really expecting to lose the fake nail on the night but surprisingly, it worked very well and was very strong. It was embarrassing to go there but when I explained that I needed the nail for guitar playing I actually got another gig out of it for a party they were arranging for one of their people.

Just play til your fingers bleed, then stop when it hits bone...

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

Ok, maybe I'll play without nails for a while (like I have a choice) and see what'll happen. Do you know if there are ways to stimulate growth of calluses (other than playing)?

Perhaps you could borrow a steel string guitar from somebody, and play on that for a while. The rough windings on the strings would definately stimulate calluses on the picking hand, just as they do on the fretting hand.

ReplyQuote
(@jonsi)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

xg5a: Good idea! I actually have e steel stringed one, that I never use. But maybe I should try it for a while!

ReplyQuote
(@illicit)
Estimable Member

Ok, maybe I'll play without nails for a while (like I have a choice) and see what'll happen. Do you know if there are ways to stimulate growth of calluses (other than playing)?

Perhaps you could borrow a steel string guitar from somebody, and play on that for a while. The rough windings on the strings would definately stimulate calluses on the picking hand, just as they do on the fretting hand.

Actually, peeing on your fingers will make them build callouses faster. It's an old trick jazz bassists used to do. I also think Chris Novoselic of Nirvana sweared by it religiously.

Anyway.

Behold! The great northern viking's pinnacle of evolution! Behold my wavy blonde locks, my icy blue eyes and my muscular physique! Behold my.. screw this, I'm going to McDonald's.

ReplyQuote
(@jonsi)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Haha, Illicit... Good tip, and somehow I know I won't follow it...

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2