Clear all

Not being taught chords?!!

18 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

Maybe she's taking claranet lessons by mistake. :?

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
 bltc
(@bltc)
Trusted Member

I share the same experience but with my girlfriend's younger brother- he has been playing for 2 years now and he still doesn't know the basic chords.

He recognizes them in some songs but only through tabs. He has never had any lessons from a teacher and learned everything from the internet, but that shouldn't be an excuse. I've never had lessons, and taught myself through the internet and I know all of the basic chords, sus, dims, 7s, etc...

But it drives me nuts knowing that he's purchased 3 guitars, joined a band, yet still wouldn't know how to play a Em off the top of his head. :evil:

ReplyQuote
(@pitney2000)
Eminent Member

the best way to learn for me is by jamming with other musicians.. i agree to let her jam with yu and show her the basic chords dont forget the 7th's they come in real handy... i taught myself for many yrs and jammed alot with bluegrass musicians ... i can do the GCD changes like a pro lol... anyway im sure she will have fun learing to jam some songs .. you guys can show her the chords and she can take them back to her teacher and he can teach her the theory behind them and keep her learning the fretboard....i never have learned it but im starting now...ive fallen in love with gypsy/d'jango/jazz
chords now and when i jam with others they are amazed at the chords i play
i tell them hey i only now 10 chords i just know 5 ways to play them all lol
dont get stuck with just first position chords... its really easy to take a basic 1st position C7 chord and run it all the way up the neck... the different voiceing of the E7 in that position on the 5th fret is a favorite of mine in blues playing .... have fun with her and jam on !!!!

joyce

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2