Notifications
Clear all

Semi-beginner questions

10 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@elmer)
Topic starter  

Hey guys, if this is too basic of a question, I apologize in advance. In the next few weeks I am buying a new (or used) electric guitar. I have been playing acoustic for many years. My choice is narrowed between a Strat, Telecaster, or Les Paul. My music preferences range from ZZ Top to Johnny Cash to the Stones. I would welcome input on guitar choice. I am looking to spend not over $700 (hopefully). I am not in a band or do gigs, but just jam with friends in our home. I don't see myself doing a gig.
Also, where in Dallas Texas is best store to buy a new guitar ?

Also, I played with a Crate Amp yesterday and would welcome input on a amp for home and fun use. I like the special effects of a Crate amp would like to hear thoughts about that. My partner plays an 60's Fender Twin Reverb. He thinks I should go with an old tube Fender amp. Thoughts ?

Thanks,

Elmer in Dallas 8)

Elmer in Dallas

(@alangreen)

Well, you can't really go wrong with any of those guitars, and people I've hear using Crates say they're really good.

Ultimately, it comes down to which guitar feels right to you; so go and try out a hatful of each on a bunch of amps.

Can't help with the shops in Texas. Soz.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

ElecktraBlue and Marvelous Optimist can help you with stores....

I'd go with the Tele, but it's just personal preference and the fact I already have a strat and an SG.

ReplyQuote
(@rsadler)
Reputable Member

I recently got an Epiphone Les Paul for what you're wanting to spend. Great guitar. The Fenders strings seemed a little to close together for me, but it's just personal preference. The humbuckers on the Les Pauls compared to the single coils on most fenders also made a big difference for me.

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

If you want, you can check out the Epiphone Elitist line. They are extremely well made instruments and are often said to be better than their Gibson counterparts

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

If you want, you can check out the Epiphone Elitist line. They are extremely well made instruments and are often said to be better than their Gibson counterparts

Eh, I wouldn't say that, but they're pretty good. His budget is $700 and I'm guessing that includes the amp, too. So he might want to look at a standard or a custom and spend the rest of a half decent amp.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

I missed that part, the cheapest elitist guitar is around $650 i think, so that wouldn't leave much money for a good amp.

Since your only using your amp for jamming with your friends at home, I'm guessing you wouldn't really need anything more than 40-50 watts for an amp. But I'm not sure, can anyone clarify that?

ReplyQuote
(@nathan1709)
Trusted Member

I can wholly recommend the Crate GTX15 as a practice amp as i have one and i agree about the built in effects. This is not a vible amp for live work but as you have said that you cannot see yourself gigging this is not a problem. I paid £99 for mine (that's about $200 i think). Unfortunately being British and having never visited the USA, I am not in a position to recommend a good music store.

"This is a public service announcement.....with guitars"

ReplyQuote
(@tommy-guns)
Honorable Member

I agree w/Alan, all three are great guitars. I own a Les Paul and I find it is bottom heavy so if you play sitting down the neck will ride up on you when you let go of it (keep your strap on). It is also a heavier guitar so you will notice the weight after standing and playing for awhile. But it is an AMAZING guitar, I love it.

With the strat, it lighter and you could use a distortion pedal to get a nice overdriven sound from the single coil pickups.

Good Luck w/your quest.

Ambition is the path to success...persistence is the vehicle you arrive in!!!

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

I got an Epiphone Les Paul Classic Plus for $600 and a Marshall MG15DFX for $160. That's a tad over your budget, but I personally am very pleased with the combo. Add another $80 for a good case (unless you can talk your local shop into throwing one in for free).

I mainly like to play classic rock and blues and the above combo works perfectly for that. Even though the amp is only 15 watts, it is perfectly loud for home use (I can't even turn mine up all the way before I start annoying neighbors and the girlfriend).

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote