Clear all

uh-oh

10 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

i finally got myself a new guitar teacher. tomorrow is my first lesson and now i'm beginning to realize he's going to want me to play something for him.

yikes. :shock:

(@dayzd)
Estimable Member

So? Just play him something you can play really well.

Anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung

-----------------------

<--=-.._DayZd_..-=-->

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

Good advice there. If he's a good teacher he'll want you to play something so he can evaluate where you are, your technique, etc. That way he has a better idea of how to help you get better and reach your goals.

So if you play anything well, even if it's Mary Had a Little Lamb, then play that.

Good luck and most of all have fun.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Hey - you should want him to play something for you, too. It's your lesson and you're paying him to be able to play already.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@qrious)
Trusted Member

I agree with Alan. You need to know that your teacher has not only talent, but talent relative to the direction in which you want to grow.

If I want to become a better basketball player, I'm probably not going to hire Tiger Woods, as great a golfer as he is, as a trainer.

When you've done all you can to practice...practice some more.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I'm not so sure about needing your teacher to have more 'talent' than you... what he (or she) needs is more understanding than you.

I mean, think about sports stars... think their coaches can do a lay-up better, or hit a baseball better? Actors, singers, even CEOs have coaches who aren't known for talent - they're known for the ability to bring latent talent to fruition.

I'm not suggesting you consider teachers who can't play worth a dang - but don't discount one who's not up to your level in an area you don't need to learn. If Yngwie Malmsteen came to me for lessons, I could probably show him a thing or two, even though he's faster than I am. If David Gilmour showed up for lessons, I probably couldn't give him anything useful - even though I'm faster than he is.

Don't confuse style with substance, or form with function :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@qrious)
Trusted Member

I wasn't suggesting that your teacher has to have more talent than you. I was suggesting that you should choose a teacher who can take you in the direction in which you want to go, from a stylistic perspective. In order to do that, she/he must have some degree of talent in that particular area of expertise. Whether the expertise is theory (coach) or talent (player) based.

A basketball coach may not have more talent than the players, but she/he knows basketball and can make the players better. A golf instructor is not going to make a a basketball player better. That was my point.

When you've done all you can to practice...practice some more.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

This brings to mind an old adage (joke) about school teachers (no offense intended)

Those that can, DO

Those that can't, TEACH

And those that can't teach, ADMINISTRATE

None of this really true or mean anything other than agreeing with what has already been said. Just because a teacher can't perform a certain function does not mean they can't teach it. And the bottom line is that most teachers I ever met were pretty good at doing but just not necessarily at everything.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@geetar66)
Estimable Member

Don't fret (pun definitely intended), I played When the Saints Go Marching in in single notes the first time I played for my teacher...it's just so he/she can gauge where your starting point is...I was nervous at first as well

:shock:

Meet me tonight in Atlantic City

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

Man I remeber my 1st lesson and i played the Metallica 'One' solo. But I played it so bad it made me look worse than i was...so anoying

ReplyQuote