Clear all

NSD Powerball

14 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@apache)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I keep seeing these advertised on Amazon, and they claim to improve the strength in your hand, and be beneficial to guitarists - I was wondering if anyone had tried these and if they had felt it improved their playing?

Thanks

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

nah, just play.

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

I haven't used that product, but I have had good luck with a foam "squeeze toy":

It's a stress-relief ball from a mental-health clinic. It helps relieve pain from chronic tendinitis and arthritis, and I'm sure there is some strengthening going on as well.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Never used one myself. But I think having the ability to crush your guitar with you pinky may be a bit overkill. I would say, just keep practicing you scales if you want to build up finger strength and speed.

I purchased a book some time ago called Guitar Aerobics. by NELSON TROY It has some great exercises in it. It actually contains an exercise for each day. So you end up with 365 really good licks! I would lean more towards something like that!

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@adrianjmartin)
Estimable Member

I've got one, it fun to play with for a bit - but I'm dubious about its exercise potential...I think there's a limit to how much strength you can gain with it. A limit I exceeded by Bouldering( indoor Rock climbing without ropes), and some simple hand grip type exercisers.

Your hand will get a little stronger, but you will learn no technique. The Powerballs are noisy too, so you cant do it while watching tv, or other down time.

( Also the fact that their official site's 'medical' claims come from Chiropractors puts its 'medical' claims into the land of make believe)

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

A tennis ball or a dense sponge ball that offers some resistance wwould work pretty the same. Just squeeze it for several minutes at a time with each hand.

Also could be used to warm up before practicing, help loosen and stretch the muscles. But unless you are really weak your hands will develop enough strength by playing.

All these Powerball stuff is just media hype in my opinion. They want a reason to charge you $20 for something worth $1

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

My girlfriend gave me a "gripmaster", the red one, for my birthday some years ago. I made some exercises with it until I injured my pinky... Be careful. I always read the best solution is just playing the guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@apache)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks everyone, my hand was hurting after about 5 mins of barre chords, so I was hoping for a quick fix!

I'll forget that idea and focus on playing and try a much cheaper tennis ball instead :D

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i've been playing for 15 years, and even when i rock climbed daily, 5 minutes straight of barre chords would leave my wrist burning. that's just how it is.

ReplyQuote
(@apache)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

LOL - thanks, hopefully it will get easier in time...

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I have troubles barre chording entire songs. Had a sleep pressure point issue and still rocovering. I'm searching for the right combination of finger placement and easy pressure. It's slowly getting better. My inspiration is that some of the songs I struggle with are the open chord to barre chord changes. On top of that, if I do the whole thing on barre chords, it sounds better.

My other issue is faster paced songs that require otherwise easy chord changes, but ones done fast. I tender to over-squeeze.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

By all means, just keep on practicing them. Thats how you get strong.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@bandit_matt)

I have two Powerballs, used them for quite a while, but didn't notice it help my guitar playing much. It works your wrists/forearms much more than your fingers. And you can get a pretty good grip on it without using all your fingers equally, so it won't make your pinky stronger/more dexterous.

I did use it a lot when studying for my final exams, just spinning it constantly at a low speed. Well, when I went to write the exams, I was able to write pages and pages; I noticed in one brutally long exam that I was stopping to stretch my neck, and that half of the class was rubbing their wrists, forearms, etc, from writer's cramp.

It also helped with my golf swing a bit, but then again, my golf game had no where to go but up!

"I'm done with school and being a boy scout, and too smart to take up smoking. Gimme a guitar and a motorcycle!"
-Washburn D10S
-Fender Nashville Telecaster
-Gibson Les Paul Studio

ReplyQuote
(@apache)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks everyone, I'll just keep practicing... :D

ReplyQuote