Clear all

oddball used strat Q

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@primeta)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

So I wandered into one of the larger chain stores, in Toronto wanting to look at strats. I tried a couple of squiers, and Mexican. The neck on the squier's really is quite nice. Did I not notice it before or has their quality improved? The Mexican was okay, maybe a slighly more complex tone than the squier, okay, but nothing special. I tried an American standard, nice tone, but the neck is clunky, especially for my small hands.

Which brings me to the strat I want to describe.
It had a coloured headstock. And what I presume is midrange boost. The guy in the store said it was an 80's ultra strat.
The shape of the neck was the nicest I've held yet. Nice tone.

Now the problems:
The neck has a couple of small nicks in the back. Nothing major but a little annoying. The body has a couple of nicks, but I'm not bothered by that.
The headstock is a slightly different colour than the body and may be a replacement.
It looks like a chimpanzee replaced the nut.
The frets are fairly worn. Recrowning would be a good idea, it's possible a couple may need to be replaced.
All for $899 Canadian plus tax.
Basically, it's what I would like in a strat, but the condition is putting me off.
Any thoughts ideas suggestions?

PS
I still have to buy myself a lap steel
:roll:

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

(@Anonymous)

I can't think of the conversion right now but I believe that's about $699 American...

Personally, if you are looking for a project guitar then you should get it. If you are going to have the work done by someone then I don't think it's worth it. You'd be better off getting the Squier you played and replacing the pickups...heck of a lot cheaper and as you said it played great.

This is just my opinion

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Hmmm...

Too many negatives for me. I wouldn't mind the little nicks, you expect that with a used instrument. But the badly worn frets and the nut would be a problem for me.

Also, the different colored headstock is a little suspicious to me. Not saying anything is wrong, but that is unusual. People have been known to stick the neck off an old Fender on another body and then sell it as a complete Fender guitar.

But if you really love the feel and tone of the guitar, and the price is right, you might consider it. I would first check with a luthier to see how much the refret would cost. I would also ask about the cost of replacing the nut. And perhaps the nicks could be sanded out and the neck and body refinished as well. So see what kind of price that would cost you.

My '91 Strat had badly worn frets. They were so worn that I had to raise the action a little higher than I liked to prevent fret buzz. I was given a price of $350 US. So, it can be expensive. That was for a full refret and new finish though. I ended up purchasing a new neck. Only cost $100 US. Doesn't say Fender on the headstock anymore, but the guitar plays great. I bought it from a Fender licensed replacement parts dealer.

Have you looked at the Highway 1 models?

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

for that money you can find an american strat with no issues at all.

shop around somemore.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

About the Squier, I already have an older Godin LGT, short-necked SS splitable H, trem bar. It's my favourite electric to practice on as it can cover anything from House of the Rising Sun to Money for Nothing. So I'm not desperate for just any strat. I'm looking for something a little different. As nice as they are, the Squiers jut don't scream ‘buy me'. Though I might pick up a oneyet, just to put into a different slide tuning, C or E, or even open G and get my mex-tele back to standard tuning. I sure miss it for a twangier version of House of the Rising Sun.

I have tried the Highway 1, and I did like the sound. What I don't particularly care for is the neck as it's the same shape as the American standard. The Godin I have has the same width, but slightly thinner back to front I believe. It's also at least as flat as the American, if not flatter. I'd like a strat with a narrower neck and more curve to the fretboard.

I the neck on the oddball was narrower and I think had a slightly more curved fretboard. Gloss finish, not sure which type. Yellowed.

One other thing I've remembered, it didn't have the usual Fender knobs, instead it had gold metal domes, the one near the bridge when turned, clicked and some sort of boost kicked in. In a way it sounds more like Schecter than Fender, but I don't know enough of Fenders' model history.

If I could talk the price down I might go for it, but the salesmen seem to be salaried or at least under strict orders not to budge on price. I've never had any luck and I set my practiced haggler of an uncle on them the last time. It's going to make a good guitar for the person who knows how to fix it up. However, I think I'll pass on this one. Thanks guys, I needed the reassurance.

Really must buy a lapsteel before another round-necked guitar.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote