Notifications
Clear all

OK...I'm stuck again...

25 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

You have lots of friends here at Guitarnoise. You'll find many of us are Professional musician's and some are top notch guitarist all willing to help. Not so many years ago you couldn't have got boo from me about how I achieve my sound or explain tone secrets or doing finger exercises like I do here. Finger exercises are very important. One should think of the positive side and watch how much easier practicing and playing songs will become.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Go down to your local guitar store and ask some of the guys there if they know of any beginners that would like to jamb with another beginner.

Good idea. :) A new shop has just opened locally and the owner has put up a pinboard for just that purpose. Any customer can put up a note about any sort of music related thing. "Band seeks drummer", "Beginner seeks another beginner to practice with" or whatever.

Mike,

I find that most things in my life go in pulses, like a sine wave. Up and down in intensity.

So I have weeks or days that I study guitar intensely and surge forwards. Then I have times where I just don't feel like hitting the books or doing a lot of "proper" practice.

So at those times I don't stress about it, I just play for fun and/or play less with no expectations. I know that the more focused time will come back - because it always does. Just as on the days that I feel flat or "down" I know that I'll be back up again soon, because that's what always happens. 8)

I love the times when I feel inspired to play my fingers off, and study until my eyeballs pop, but I know that I can't force the feeling.

When I'm not feeling that way I just play stuff I know, revise a bit, and just mess around (was it Nils who called it "noodling"??) Because I always experiment when I noodle, there's often some learning value that pops up out of that too.

It all good. Just surf the waves as they come. :D

Cheers, Chris

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

"Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go?" asked Alice. "That depends a great deal on where you want to get to" said the Cheshire Cat.

It's really hard for anyone to give you anything useful from their own practice routines. I spend a couple hours a day practicing (not rehearsing, noodling, or learning songs, but just practicing chops) and the odds are good that most of the stuff I do wouldn't be of much use to you.

First, figure out what you want to play that you can't play now.

Next, figure out why you can't play it now. That'll give you a list of the skills you need.

Third, figure out a logical sequence for getting those skills.

Then make a plan to build those skills.

Without doing those steps, you're rudderless, amigo. You might still make progress, but it might not be in the areas that are important to you. If you're gonna put in the time, you owe it to yourself to make it effective time.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

"Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go?" asked Alice. "That depends a great deal on where you want to get to" said the Cheshire Cat.

It's really hard for anyone to give you anything useful from their own practice routines. I spend a couple hours a day practicing (not rehearsing, noodling, or learning songs, but just practicing chops) and the odds are good that most of the stuff I do wouldn't be of much use to you.

First, figure out what you want to play that you can't play now.

Next, figure out why you can't play it now. That'll give you a list of the skills you need.

Third, figure out a logical sequence for getting those skills.

Then make a plan to build those skills.

Without doing those steps, you're rudderless, amigo. You might still make progress, but it might not be in the areas that are important to you. If you're gonna put in the time, you owe it to yourself to make it effective time.

Actually this really makes sense to me and I can hear the wheels turning! Now I know WHAT I want to play but I need to figure out The list of skills I need...I want to play blues, rock, & country...and for the most part they all have a common root...BLUES. I am learning the shuffle right now (with Arjen's help) so that's part of it. I know I would like to play some riffs over backing tracks. I would be content with using the riffs/solos of others right now. I am not into improving yet. I have the backing tracks that Tele posted in my other thread and I heard some great new sounds I would like to reproduce as well as play over. The Blues Boggie is one...

As to why I can't play it..simple...I don't know where to start. I listen to some of the great blues players like BB King & Muddy Waters but it sounds SOOO complicated to play...so of course I need to simplify it...OK...stuck again (but I am FARTHER than I was before your post!)...I know the 12 bar blues...but only the "power chord" version...I should learn to use full chords so as to have more harmonies...

I figured that if I can play the blues I can play most of what I want to play...Rock, Country and even Rock-a-Billy (Brian Setzer style)...

Well NoteBoat...as usual you saved another guitar soul...well at least provided a few more breaths! I guess now that I know where I want to go I need a map...

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

As to why I can't play it..simple...I don't know where to start. I listen to some of the great blues players like BB King & Muddy Waters but it sounds SOOO complicated to play...so of course I need to simplify it...OK...stuck again (but I am FARTHER than I was before your post!)...I know the 12 bar blues...but only the "power chord" version...I should learn to use full chords so as to have more harmonies...

Knowing the 12-bar framework is a good start, and yes, you should learn to use full chords. Then listen to what it is those guys are doing, and you'll draw up a list of the skills you need. They'll include:

The blues scale
Accurate slides from one position to another
Several different types of bends (bending up, bend & release, two note bends, oblique bends, choked bends, etc.)
Several different types of vibrato (violin style, narrow and wide finger vibrato, BB's "hummingbird" vibrato)
Double stops
'outside' chords (the bIII, bVI, and extended/altered dominants)

So start by taking a simple piece, and breaking it down. What are the techniques used? Work at a single phrase... or even a single note for something like vibrato. Then add another. Make a plan, set yourself goals. It takes time, but you'll be learning the skills you need, not just picking up stuff at random.

I spent my first several years as a guitarist picking up stuff at random. I can tell you from experience that you'll learn as much in one focused year as you will in four or five of learning by accident :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Yea I would LOVE to but I just don't know anyone who plays...

I find that hard to believe. I'm sure there's someone you have contact with that plays. They are probably to shy to tell you they do . I played for almost a year before I found out no less than three people I knew through work, friends, and relatives played guitar, I still play with one of them. They're out there you just have to find them. Also don't dismiss some who hasn't been playing as long as you have teaching is a good way to improve your skills as well.

Well you better believe it because I don't even have any friends here...I go home from work EVERY night and I don't talk to anyone until work the next day...same for weekends...if you don't want to believe me that's fine but I have no reason to lie about it. One woman at work told me her husband played. I asked if he'd be willing to work with me and she said she'd ask....I got no reply...

I am happy that you have so many friends around you and those that also play guitar...I don't...

Sorry to hear that Mikespe. Was there a recent move? I couldn't imagine life without friends near me. The guitar shop board is a good idea especially if it's a small mom and pop. Hopefully someone will latch on to you. If I was even remotely close I'd drive a ways to hang out with you. 8)

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I know the 12 bar blues...but only the "power chord" version...

Hey Mike,

Here's a good book for beginners that I recommend: 12-Bar Blues Riffs.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I know the 12 bar blues...but only the "power chord" version...

Hey Mike,

Here's a good book for beginners that I recommend: 12-Bar Blues Riffs.

Hey that looks cool...I'll see if I can get it locally....thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@slipkid)
Eminent Member

Sooooo much good advise here. I wish I would have had this resource 30 years ago.
The main theme here seems to be of you get stuck....change up your routine. I can work on a complicated chord change every day for week and struggle. When I leave it alone and come back to it in a week or so I get better results.
If you really, really, really, really get stuck sometime......go out a buy a uke. They make a great routine breaker.

Ovation....
Belly up to the bowl boys!!!!

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

"Blues You Can Use" is a useful book for gradually introducing different blues skills like scales and slides and bends. There are different types of blues rhythms in the backing tracks that you can try to immitate, but little instuction on that aspect. You should find that you can get through the first 5 or so songs on your own (they're not known songs, more "in the style of..." type of stuff). Then you will probably find that you will need some personal instruction on mastering bends and vibrato techniques. What you WILL do is have a bunch of things to ask questions about and to practice, while learning passable songs.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2