Clear all

Old music.

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@jocko)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I went on to the Library of Congress site and downloaded a piece of guitar sheet music from 1873. I chose a piece, at random, called Cupid's Jig and after printing out my download I entered it into Guitar Pro 5. After half an hours work I was able to get Guitar Pro to play it back to me. I felt a bit like an archaeologist as I listed to a piece of music that may well have never been played for over 100 years. (Go on. Spoil it. Tell me it's a regular part of your repertoire :D ) The moral of this story is: if your looking for something novel and unusual to play give their site a whirl.

45 years playing and still rubbish.

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I had a feeling just like that 18 years ago...

My wife and I decided to take a weekend away at the spur of the moment. We just got in the car and drove West, ending up in Dubuque IA. Then we tried to find a bed and breakfast joint.

We found a nice one called the Redstone Inn, but it was full. They looked at my wife (then about 8 months pregnant) and said they'd just bought another building to renovate for an additional B&B, and we could stay there. I remember them telling me it had been the residence of an archbishop, but I could be fuzzy on that.

Anyway, in the parlor of the house was a player piano, and in boxes in a bookcase were piano rolls for it. Piano rolls are sort of like digital recordings - a pianist would play, and the machine would record all the dynamics and phrasing in the roll. So that night we listened to Scott Joplin... <i>played</i> by Scott Joplin.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote