Skip to content
Old school rock - n...

Notifications
Clear all

Old school rock - new lesson? (hocus pocus - Focus)

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
 ss43
(@ss43)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

One song that has been spliced into the DNA of my playing for over 30 years has been Hocus Pocus by Focus (or vice versa - I'm old). I just dig the cord progression. It is almost always a part of my warm up and I'll do it old school as well as my own more modern versions. Last night, for the first time in years, I just happend to really listen to the song as recorded by the group. I couldn't get away from how far ahead of their time, seemingly, these guys were musically. Now I know the song has some goofy yodeling and stuff but the lead guitar playing just seemed more dimensional than alot of stuff I used to listen to back-in-the-day (with the exception of Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush, and Led Zeplin for example). I don't think the guitar player that did Hocus Pocus was that great in technique but creatively imaginative. I really don't know where I am going with this post but I just think it is wild to discover something new in what you've been doing for that length of time. And I am really just wondering what other nuggets are out there that I might be so fortunate to uncover - any comments/suggestions? I hate to be so vague but I am sure I am not the only one to experience the phenomenon.