Clear all

One of the best days

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@bstguitarist)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Sorry for the long post but this story is WORTH the long read. Grab a coffe or something and enjoy this story, I am sure you will.

Today (Sept. 4, 2004) Has been one of the best days of my summer. I know that I had somewhere around $300 but I didn't know exactly how much. but thats not what happened first anyway. My whole family was going to go out today but we ended up not doing that. We had company over just before we were going to leave. During that time I had bid on an Epiphone Les Paul Standared w/ case and upgrades. I bid $405 and was the high bidder for about 5 minutes at $355 dollers until someone (Probably knew/ was the owner trying to bring up the price because the person was literally brand spanking new to ebay.) so I was outbidded at $410 (total package was valued at $635) and I decided not to go any higher.

My aunt was over our house and we eventually decided to go to her house in New Hamphire. I was really discouraged that I had lost that great deal on the used Epiphone so my dad told me that we would pick up a want ad and also go to Guitar Center and Daddy's Junky music on our way to my aunts house. I had printed out notes explaining what exactly I was looking for and my contact info so I could give it to them. So we picked up a want ad at my local store to see what they had in there, but they had nothing that I was looking for. So we made our way to Guitar Center in Nashua New Hampshire. I walked in and asked for the manager, he came out and I gave himn the sheet and told him that I wanted that guitar used in very good to excellent condition. I was expecting to pay close to $400 for one if they found one.

So he looked up the gutars and eventually found one in the store but he didnt know what burst it was, it ended up being a honey burst color and I wanted Heritage Cherry. Then he found one in the Boston store in very good condition for $399 used. He knew that I serously thinking of buying a guitar and that I knew exactly what I wanted. So just after he got off the phone with the Boston store he says to me " You can go buy that used guitar for $399, or if you want to spend another $50 making it $450 I will give you a brand new one off the shelf right now" I had one of the biggest smiles on my face because this guitar brand new usually goes $600 (it recently jumped up from $550) and I was bout to save $100 off the sale price of $550 and save a total of $150.

I went out and got my dad and told him practically shaking as I described the offer. We went into the store to check out the guitar and make sure the deal was real. I picked up the gutiar and sat there next to the Marshall amp i was plugged into and tried to play... but I was too nervouse/surprised/ shocked about the deal to play! eventually I did get out a couple little riffs. Then I asked my dad if he wanted me to play anything since I couldnt think of anything from being shocked with such a deal. he said 'Born to be wild" so I started playing. All of a sudden one of the guitar techs who worked at Guitar Center stopped and started listening and talking with us. He told me he was impressed and we got into a big discussion about music and how he liked hearing some classic rock instead of the new stuff thats out there. lol he also said " I am getting sick on drop D tuning". We eventually found out that he was in a band and had been in many bands since the age of 14. He also told us that he had been in bands that opened for artists suck as "ZZ Top" and "Joe Walsh" so this guy was almost like a small icon in the store to us. Anyway, he said his current band was "Those Three Guys" and invited us to come see them play every wednesday and thursday at two local clubs.

After that all happened the guitar tech guy named pete a.k.a. hurricane pete told us that the amp i was playing was a good one, that it was one of the few well made ones. He went on discussing how every musical instrument was different, and we agreed, so we decided to try the second epiphone heritage cherry burst guitar they had to make sure the one I was getting didnt sound like a piece of crap compard to the other one. I tuned the second guitar and strummed it a couple times and it sounded like CRAP!!!(Sorry but I feel it helps with the actaul explanation of sound, I probably would go one step higher in descriptions but that would be offensive lol!) I ended up sticking with the first Epiphone.

SO I got the Epiphone Les Paul Heritage Cherryburst today. Not only did I never expect to buy a guitar today, it was the last thing on my mind. I though I was going to get quotes for the prices. Secondly, not only did I expect to get used today I actually got the guitar BRAND NEW!! for $450! This is a killer bargain and I was shaking as we were buying the guitar. The assistant manager polished the guitar for me and asked if I had anyting to take it home in. I said "no" because i wasnt expecting to buy anything today and at that time figured I was going to have to lay it in the back of our jeep. So he told me to wait for a second while he wen to find something, we had suggested he look for bubble wrap or something close to that. He comes back 3 minutes later with the les paul in an acoustic gig back so that it would be somewhat protected even though the bag was too big for the guitar and said we could have the gig bag for free. I was almost estatic in the store knowing that this was an AWESOME deal! so we get out of the store and head for my aunts house and in the parking lot I am slightly shaking fromn the shock of what just happened.

We get to my aunts house and I show them the guitar. The gig bag was on the table infromt of me. After about an hour to an hour and a half I see that the gig bag had a pouch to keep things in it, so I decided to open it. I open the puch and stick my hand in. I poulled out a brand new tremelo bar that I can used on my strat (Especially since my current one is broke!) and I also pulled out Two hex wrenches for a strat. At this point I am in disbeliefe at what had happened today. I also noticed that the guitar had grover tuners on it. Si I think they are also upgraded tuners as well.

So all in all I got A BRAND NEW!! Epiphone Les Paul Standard, Acoustic gig bag, tremelo bar two hex wrenches, and upgraded Tuners which i researched as being in minimum value of $34. All that stuff cost me only $450, I am so shyded that I will probably have a hard time sleeping tonight. Mainly because of shock of getting the guitar and its accessories for such a price and the fact that I have been saving for about 9 months for this guitar with no job (Just barely miss the age of 16), working sporaticaly mowing lawns and other odd jobs to save up. Even though I am in debt with my parents a hundred or so dollers I could not pass up this offer.

Bstguitarist
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No matter what anyone says, these four men were the Innovators! of modern Rock & Roll!

Morse Code... Music on it's own

(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member

Way cool. I really like my Epi Lp too. From what I've heard (not just epiphone but gibson in general), they have really bad quality control. I played a used Gibson les paul custom at a small shop in PA. They were sellin it for ~750. I did not like it at all, it was just so dull sounding, my epi beat the crap outta it. And I think the current epi lp's come stock with grovers, mine came with em, altho i replaced them. And about that tremelo arm, well it was obviosly a mistake, and they gave you a great deal already on the guitar and a free bag, if it was me i think id take it back, id feel a little guilty. but anyway, very cool.

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
 bltc
(@bltc)
Trusted Member

Great read dude. It's always a good feeling knowing that you got a good deal.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

awesome man, congrats on the new guitar.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@longdave)
Trusted Member

I would guess that the gig bag came to them with a guitar that they bought or part-ex'd. It was probably just taking up space for them, so I wouldn't feel guilty about taking advantage!

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Congrats... and enjoy all the extras they threw in...

If I had the extra money I would call to see if they have another...

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Bst,

Congratulations on the new axe. A friend of mine bought an Epi LP nice guitar. Glad to see you got a good deal. Isn't it amazing how two guitar of the same model can be so different. That's why when I go amp shopping I always bring the guitar that I plan on using with the amp. Don't want to get home and find out the it sounds great with the guitar they had in the store and not so great with mine. Thank your parents for the loan and enjoy your "NEW" toy.

Celt

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@da-monkee)

That was a great read, and it sounded like an amazing day for you. Maybe i'll get a great deal like you did, when I buy a Les Paul :) :wink:

I converted $400 into £ so I could see how much you saved, and the deal you got was a real bargain.

ReplyQuote
(@bstguitarist)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Yeah I already thanked my parents a lot, i think there getting tired of hear me say it lol!

No matter what anyone says, these four men were the Innovators! of modern Rock & Roll!

Morse Code... Music on it's own

ReplyQuote