Notifications
Clear all

One of the hardest guitars to play..

21 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I can relate to the people who 'fight with the guitar' when referring to a Strat, especially the older ones with the 7.5" fretboard radius, and even more so if they come from (as I did) from years of playing a Les Paul. My first impression of the Strat was that it was hard to bend notes on, the string spacing felt too wide, and notes would just die out if you didn't hit them just the right way - not as 'forgiving' as a Gibson type guitar. Took me awhile to get used to it, but it always seems to talk back to you and really need 'coaxing' to get it to do what you want it to do. It doesn't let you get away with being sloppy; if you don't play it like you mean it - with authority and focus - it's going to translate that directly to the music that comes out of it.

Very mean, nasty - and yet wonderful!

But like others have said: you can get used to just about any setup if you work at it long enough. :)

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Pick up your guitar and play normally then imagine having to really dig in and play with effort. The sound is totally different. Higher action means you have to plant your finger on the fretboard and use some extra effort to pick.

As the years go on I find that my strings get heavier and my action gets higher, I also notice that my tone gets bigger and my gain settings get set lower! A set of tens are really too slinky for me, most of my guitars now wear twelves. I also think that the extra effort it takes to bend a note with the heavier strings gives me better control.

The thing that always struck me about SRV is how Physical he was when he played, it looked like he used his whole entire body to play. I think that's where 90% of his tone came from.

:shock:

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I think it is probably difficult for newer players to imagine just how strong one's fingers (and calouses) become after tens of years of playing.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Plus the adrenalin factor when playing live. I've gotten pumped up for a live performance and over-bent notes till I calmed down a little ;)

ReplyQuote
(@indiana_jonesin)
Estimable Member

I've always liked the tone of heavy strings tuned down 1/2 step, and the older the better too :)

I just tried that with the 12's on mine...I LIKE!! Rich, mellow tone, and more in line with my own voice, too. I just put the strings on last week,though, so they haven't "aged" yet :wink: Just like whiskey, right?

"Yes and an old guitar is all that he can afford,
when he gets up under the lights to play his thing..."-Dire Straits
http://www.myspace.com/misterpete42

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Yep, the jangle that you've already mellowed a little just keeps fading away for a while, and then it all settles down and stays more or less consistant for ages :wink:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2