Open E Acoustic Songs?

40 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
43.2 K Views
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

That's a great explanation. I think I almost understand it. I think I'll re-open the theory books that I didn't understand before. :?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I hadn't heard the term "open E drone tuning" before and just figured it was a species of open E on "Carry On". For those of you asking about open tunings, check out:

Open Tuning Part One, Open Tuning Part Two and On the Tuning Awry.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Don't forget that we've got a whole forum on "slide guitar and ALTERNATE TUNINGS." You might find some interesting stuff in the discussions already on there.
:D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Check out In My Time of Dying by Led Zeppelin, though, it's also a slide peice.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

"Little Martha" by Duane Allman (Though it's on an Allman Brothers album, Eat a Peach) is in Open D (Open E one whole step down)... Pretty cool song... 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Oh yeah, that's a terrific one!

(I do believe it's credited to Gregg Allman on the CD I have, though.)

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

I hadn't heard the term "open E drone tuning" before and just figured it was a species of open E on "Carry On". For those of you asking about open tunings, check out:

Open Tuning Part One, Open Tuning Part Two and On the Tuning Awry.

Before the days of the internet , when tab was in its infancy, we had to figure that crap out by our selves.

That tuning I mentioned earlier, D A D D A D is one found while trying to learn 4 & 20 & Suite Judy Blue Eyes. Its a great cheat for all those CSN songs, as well as, just fun to play.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I guess I'll have to meander over the that other forum, look around and keep my mouth shut. I MIGHT learn something.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Oh yeah, that's a terrific one!

(I do believe it's credited to Gregg Allman on the CD I have, though.)

Hmm... Maybe, but I know that Duane definitley wrote it. He said he was dreaming and Jimi Hendrix was there and talking about how he (Jimi) made a new song.. The he (Jimi) Played it on a water faucet for him (Duane)... Pretty weird huh? :shock:

Then he woke up, tuned his guitar to Open D, and played it... Pretty cool... 8)

I read it in a biography I'm reading of the Allman Brothers Band... 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Maybe so, but the liner notes of "The Allman Brothers Legendary Hits" credit it to "G. Allman."

ReplyQuote
(@floydthegolfer)
Estimable Member

I'm not really up on alternate tunings, (i have enough trouble with songs in standard!) but i think, correct me if i'm wrong, that "Romeo and Juliet" by Dire Straits, is in open E. I love that song, once i get a little more ability..... (year or 2 sigh) I'm onna learn that as my serenading song :) everyone together.... "A love-struck Romeo..... "

"You got the heart kid... but you don't got the tools no more....."
"DRAGOOO!!!!!!!!"

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I'm not really up on alternate tunings, (i have enough trouble with songs in standard!) Well, the whole point of alternate tunings is that certain things are a LOT easier to play in them than in standard. They're not as versatile for playing in every different key, but what they do, they do really well. For example, I can take a complete beginner who's never touched a guitar and in a few minutes have him playing a passable 12-bar blues in an open tuning, by strumming the open strings and barring at the fifth and seventh frets.

If something's originally played in an open tuning, you may be able to figure out a way to play it in standard tuning. But you're going to have to work a lot harder to do it.

The converse is true, too. You often can't easily reproduce the same chord voicings of a song done in standard in an alternate tuning. But, sometimes you can. And you can always come up with your own way of doing a song that's not a note for note cover.

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

:shock:

Richocet. Way too much information for one post.

Please slow down the typing as I can't read that fast. :D

I'm sitting here and this post gave me a huge buzz kill. Then it boosted me up knowing there is huge amounts of info about music that I know nothing about.

This kind of info is what all newbs must have. Is this from years of learning and having a teacher at your side? To rattle that off like you did will take exactly how many decades for us first timers? This is the kind of inner information I've got to have.

Mentor...oh Mentor where for out thou?

Man, I'm blown away. Heck, I'm sweating profusely. Shakes head sadly :( as he hits submit... :D and then jumps over to the Lesson's forum.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

OK. Just read the first sentence. Some things are a whole lot easier to do in alternate tunings. :D

I've been messing with this guitar stuff for about 4 1/2 years. Some things I learned from my teacher. A lot of it I picked up from the Net, Guitar Noise being a prime source. It's been the main place I've referred "newbies" on other boards to with all sorts of questions, and was the most helpful site overall that I ran across personally.
8)

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

In reading the rest of this forum, I had replied to the post on the first page. I hadn't even gotten to this page. DOH.

Man, I'm still in awe. I'll be cramming like a (ahem) for while. Lot's of absorbing to do. Thanks for the hint of things to come.

PHEW!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3