Clear all

opinions on Fender 60th Anniversary Tele

12 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@robbie)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

So Fender is 60 this year and so am I. Would be sort of cool to have a 60th anniversary model for your 60th birthday right? Was looking at an anniversary tele a couple of weeks ago and it really got me gassing and I think I can slip this one past the household financial officer if I play my cards right. Have lots of guitars but nothing this expensive yet. Would likely be my last guitar purchase ( Ya right)Went back yesterday and it was GONE, but dealer says he has another one coming. Supposed to be only 1000 made. Question to those of you who know teles, Is the anniversary model worth a few hundred more than the similar American made tele, that is as a collectible and or playability, tone etc. or is it strictly a marketing game by Fender to suck us neophites in. Have found a few reviews that are positive but have come to be a bit suspicious of some of these reviews.
Any thoughts appreciated
Robbie

(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member

Thats cool that you were born at the same time that fender started, I really don't like Tele's that much ( im a strat man), but it would be cool to have the aniversary one, or you could hunt down a 60 year old fender.

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i have a 50th anniversary am deluxe strat and it's an incredible guitar. the handrolled fretboard is sooo sweet.
sure i paid a little extra to have a commemorative model but, i figured i waited long enough.

Leo produced the esquire, broadcaster, and nocaster around 1950, good luck affording an original. they do make closet classics and reissues tho.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/home/navigation?q=esquire

check out the "jeff beck" yikes! :shock:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/home/navigation?q=nocaster

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

check out the "jeff beck" yikes! :shock:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/home/navigation?q=nocaster

Such poor quality! The paint is chipped and the fretboard is stained! My Behringer is in better shape! :wink: :roll: :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@nottheguy)
Estimable Member

yeah - but FREE shipping YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!!!

For that amount of $$$$$ Jeff Beck should deliver it himself :D

Its a great thing when you realize you still have the ability to surprise yourself.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

If I'm not mistaken Fender advertises it as having 'vintage' pickups, whatever that might be. Oh, make sure you get the USA 60, this time Fender also has a Mexican anniversary strat & tele, which has a silver finish instead of the sunburst on the USA. Haven't played one so can't say anything more about either models.

Anyway, good luck getting one!

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Well everything Fender does is a marketing strategy, but i wouldn't let that stop you. Make sure you compare it to other teles in the store, through a couple of different amps. I played one standard American in the store a few months ago and it was resonant and 'alive' in a way that I've rarely heard. It always comes down to the individual guitar. Good luck.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Well I did it! Put down some major coin on the 60th, as I said before you are only 60 once right? The rolled fretboard seems really nice to play, the pickups seem to deliver the tone I want, hard to leave her at the store though. Wanted to keep playing her once she sat in my lap, could be a match made in heaven. 60th birthday in November but I'm guessing that she won't be in the store that long. Now if only my EVJ head would get here. There was a Peavey 30 classic there just traded in, looked like new...300 bucks CDN?
Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@nottheguy)
Estimable Member

congrats! Post pics when you get her home!

I'm also an older member (in age - not time on the forum) 8) ....and I also plan to keep rocking along until I'm in the ground! THat way I get to enjoy myself, annoy the wifey, and embarass the kids all at the same time :P My goal is a real Gibson Les Paul Std. by the time I'm 50.....still have some time to go on that one......but it keeps ticking away!

Its a great thing when you realize you still have the ability to surprise yourself.

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

My brother in law Paul just got one for his birthday ( lordy lordy- look who's 40). He's very happy with it. 8) I think his siblings ordered it from MF--the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

sweet! i'm sure the two of you will be very happy together :wink:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@boonezai)

I only had to wait 30 years to get my first Strat. The tone quality and action on the 60th anniversary are no different than the vintage Strats I have played in the past. (I think it recieved the Smokin Dog seal of approval during our last jam session)

"You know, everyone complains about the weather but nobody does anything about it." Floyd Lawson

ReplyQuote