Clear all

Out of nowhere Gig

17 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@leear)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I got this call yesterday from some guy never even met. He asked me if i would please come and play with his band Weds night at a party he'd pay 80 bucks for 3 hours. After hearing about it i said sure. Its just cover music pretty easy. But what got me was i dont' even know the guy or the band. They got my number from some other bands that know me and suggested me.
I never thought i would be suggested as a lead player other than my band. BUt i guess word travels about how u play and what all u are capable of. So i'll find out weds how i do. Never been put on the spot like this one before. We won't even have ANY time to practice. This should be fun.

ANy Advice

No matter where you go.... There You are! Law of Location

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

They got my number from some other bands that know me and suggested me.

That's really the way the business works. Meet as many people as you can, and try not to tick any of 'em off... eventually you get more work :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

The only advice I would have is to get at least one practice session in with the band.
It would be quite scary to play a gig with a band you have never played with before and no practice at all.
Other than that Break a Leg.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I got this call yesterday from some guy never even met. He asked me if i would please come and play with his band Weds night at a party he'd pay 80 bucks for 3 hours. After hearing about it i said sure. Its just cover music pretty easy. But what got me was i dont' even know the guy or the band. They got my number from some other bands that know me and suggested me.
I never thought i would be suggested as a lead player other than my band. BUt i guess word travels about how u play and what all u are capable of. So i'll find out weds how i do. Never been put on the spot like this one before. We won't even have ANY time to practice. This should be fun.

ANy Advice

MAN what are you waiting for.You are already becoming famous.(i wish some band will call me someday like this AND PAY ME TOO 8) :oops: )

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

If you had never gigged before then I could see this being a very scary thing. Since you said you play with another band though, all I can say is have fun! At least get a set list from them so you know what cover tunes to learn and/or refresh yourself on.

Good luck!

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I got this call yesterday from some guy never even met. He asked me if i would please come and play with his band Weds night at a party he'd pay 80 bucks for 3 hours.
ANy Advice

If I were you I'd hold out for AT LEAST $85 AND m&m's with the brown ones removed in your dressing room! :wink:

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

At least get a set list from them so you know what cover tunes to learn and/or refresh yourself on.

I think that is the most important one if you guy's can't get together. Maybe try and meet up with the rhythm player?

Either way, good luck and have fun!

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Please post when and where here or in the Gig and Jams forum - it's nice to have GN fans in attendance!

Laz

ReplyQuote
(@leear)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

It is in Diamondhead Mississippi not sure where yet will find out tomorrow. ITt's country oldies rock n roll and blues. I know most of the stuff there is no practice. I play with other groups but its always different because people play songs diferent ways. I'm not really worried i'm just astonished that I got a call from out of nowhere.....

And its' officially $80.00 with all the liquor and beer u can drink..... Lol

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

How far is that to Laurel Mississippi?

My brother and sister live there and always check out the local scene. My brother plays a mean guitar as well.

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

If I were you I'd hold out for AT LEAST $85 AND m&m's with the brown ones removed in your dressing room! :wink:

Uh oh, looks like someone is gonna get beat to death with their own shoes.

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

that's awesome man/ Be sure to tell us if this gig was worth all the free beer

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

It is in Diamondhead Mississippi

Dude, I'm in Mobile! Is Diamondhead still standing?!?!?

Let us know about the gig. Not sure if I'll be able to break away for the hour to get there, but I'll do what I can.

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
(@leear)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Ok for all of u who want to know. I live in Bay St. Louis Mississippi and its' well gone. my sound business, studio, and guitar were shipped up north though so they are ok. Yes Diamondhead is still around.....parts of it.......everything south east of the interstate is just concrete slab. From laurel ur talking about a hour and a half drive. Sorry for u guys who would like to come hear, i found out it's a private party.

I'm sure its worth all the free beer as the guy that called me has been playing the scene for a long time. His old group was One of the ones that started the cover bands down here. Now we got Easy Street, The Country Sounds, Southbound, Bottomline, Southern Express(my group). He has at least sat in wth every group plus his old group (southern soul) played every weekend Fri, and Sat, for 100/man/night. so a 200 weekend. just to play a lounge or the ramada.

I'm sure i'll have a blast. He has got my drummer sitting in as well, so that eases my frustration a little. I've been told he wants to start another group and somebody mentioned me so he is "trying me out" tonight.

I'll be back on here ASAP to let u know how it went down.

ReplyQuote
(@leear)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

awesome gig. got payed 180. they passed the hat around and we played from 7 till 11 then played from 12 til 2. Played music from the 1950's to 2005. Most of it i knew or had heard before and that i haven't only took me a few seconds to figure out and we were rollin. I had a great time and i have been asked to play again.

We did play some stuff that was rough for the first verse then i got it. I.E.

Purple Rain,
Shakey Ground,
Some Kind of Wonderul
New Orleans Lady
Velvet Sky(took me a few bymyself to figure this out since I start the song)

A Few fun songs we played:

Heaven-Los Lonley Boys
Mustang Sally
Johnny B. Goode
Tupelo Honey
Workin Man Blues
Pride And Joy
Mary Had A Little Lamb
Guitars Cadillacs
Pretty Woman
Day Tripper
Drift Away
Gimme Three Steps

It was a great time. I'll be back according to them real soon..... Which i guess is REAL good.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2