Clear all

Gilmore

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@rip-this-joint)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I was wondering during Gilmore solos when you hear that sort of "crunch" between notes. The way he accents the notes. Is that in the way he plays it or his tone?

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Can you name a specific song?

Without knowing the solo you are refering to, I can only guess it is a combination of his technique and gear. If an amp is really cranked it will make all sorts of sounds whenever you take your fingers off the strings. Many guitarists use this as part of their sound. Jimi Hendrix did this all the time. You would often hear the beginnings of feedback between notes. This is done intentionally by these guitarists. This may be what you are hearing.

So it is both technique and a super cranked amp.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

It can also be intentionally ringing strings or short slides on the lower strings. I've heard this often on Satriani's live material.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Besides being a crazy Bender.. he also likes to 'rake' alot too, at least I think that's what I hear and its usually indicated in the TAB Books I have.

Just a thought.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@rip-this-joint)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

yeh i love how he rakes into a sweet bend. And yeh it is that sound between notes.

ReplyQuote