Clear all

Pachelbel's Canon in D - Funtwo edition

17 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Yes, this was arranged by JerryC. There is a tab from Jerry C for this song on the net all over the place. Seems to be legit. However, when Funtwo plays this, he makes more little changes than I thought at first. I like Funtwo's version much better, and there are really enough changes that it's difficult for me to tab it myself. What's interesting is through all my searching, I cannot find a tab for his version. Everyone just says it's the same as the Jerry C tab. I'm not sure if these people are guitar players, but it really isn't the same.

Does anyone have any idea where this tab might be? Or if there's anyone out there who can play Funtwo's version and would tab it (I'd pay) it would be greatly appreciated. Any info please! :)

Thanks guys/gals.

P.S. If you aren't sure what I'm talking about, have a look http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjA5faZF1A8

(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

I like funtwo's version better too. It's my favorite video on YouTube. As far as his version being a little different from JerryC's, it seems that it is, to me anyway. If you find the tab for it post it here, I'd love to see it. I've been working on this tune for a while now and I suck at it, but its fun as hell.

Here is an improved version of funtwo's Canon, the explanation is in the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN4fIRjMf-M

One more thing, check out the rest of JerryC's videos. They are simply awesome.

Here's a few.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abeYsVjzbHg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvAA8i2LzGM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhprFDMFHkQ

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, it's definitely different. I've picked up some parts, but to be honest it's sometimes hard to hear slight changes when he's playing that fast. Any pro here want to tab this? :)

edit: As for the resync'd one, I'm pretty sure he ended up changing the video called "guitar" to reflect the resync'd one. They are the same video now as far as I can tell.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I'm all for different interpretations of music but why do, with all due respect, electric guitarists suck so much? There are a billion ways you can read this piece and all kinds of versions are on youtube. I just checked a load and as soon as an electric guitar gets used it's all the same: the basic melody applied with some shredding in between. No dynamics, no interplay with the rest of the musicians (huh, do you have to listen to the 'backing'?!), usually a hopelessly uncontrolled vibrato, out of tune playing on the slower passages etc etc. If I want to hear one dimensional tunes I'll play my old Nintendo...

No wonder the rest of the music world looks down on electric guitarists. No matter what song is being done us electric guitarists are masters of butchering all passion and emotion in a composition and replacing that with gain and reverb...

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

No matter what song is being done us electric guitarists are masters of butchering all passion and emotion in a composition and replacing that with gain and reverb...

This is not a statement worthy of you Ignar. Are you telling that guitarists like B B King play without emotion and passion ?

Moreover whenever I watch BJA of Green Day, I see the utmost passion and feeling in his songs, even though the guitar is hugely distorted. Similarly with The Who or the Ramones.

Though I will agree that anything 'death metal' and the kind are lifeless things.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Are you telling that guitarists like B B King play without emotion and passion ?

Ofcourse not. I'm talking about the hordes of people who 'interpretate' classical compositions by playing just the melody as flat as possible, ignoring all intentions of the composer. You know, people playing Fur Elise in 4/4 with a dance beat under it. Every instrument has it's own set of qualities, and the electric guitar is one of them. BB King is greatly dependant on his dynamics and phrasing, so he uses a sound that makes his dynamics incredibly wide. Punk music is more of 'wall of sound', they dont need dynamics because that kind of music depends on other factors. The dynamics in Greenday music is in the whole arrangement, about when what comes in. The guitar itself doesn't provide that as it has only two levels (cleam and distorted :P) in punk. All fine with me, just keep your dirty little hands of classical compositions if you are too lazy to invest in actual musicianship.

And truth be told I'm hoping to stir up some people because apparantly many people dig this flattened soulless crap. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong and I'm just missing something. Sometimes that happens. ;)

ReplyQuote
(@jewtemplar)
Reputable Member

You know what's funny about all the electric guitar versions of Pachelbel's Canon? None of them are canons, or even polyphonic. The reason that the original is so distinctive is that it is actually a strict 3 part canon, not just a set of variations over a pretty standard chord progression.

~Sam

ReplyQuote
(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Wow, obviously someone likes the accoustic better? Perhaps it's a simple matter of taste? What happened in this particular scenario is Jerry C arranged that, inspired by Yngwie Malmsteen, and a lot of people copied it. Some, Funtwo specifically played it much better. I think it's a great arrangement, and possibly the finest modern interpretation I've seen. Flattened soulless crap? I disagree. Strongly.

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Thinking about the electric version of Canon, one thing crops up to my mind.

The song 'Basket Case' by Green Day has almost the same chord progression as in the Canon. And of course this is a great song. So seems like that atleast taking the progressions and then using them on electric can be a better choice.

ReplyQuote
(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

You should search "pachelbel rant" on youtube. The guy shows a bunch of songs that are the same progression. Let it be (beatles), crying (aerosmith), couple of greenday songs, blues traveler, etc. There are lots ;)

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Wow, obviously someone likes the accoustic better?

When I play it's electric guitar 80% of the time. I love rock. I also love classical. Both are very different genres with their own set of things that I like. Taking a canon and just throwing the melody over an orchestra that's practically playing block chords is, IMHO, taking the bad parts of both and blending it to pulp.
I think it's a great arrangement, and possibly the finest modern interpretation I've seen.
That's your perfect right. I was wondering if maybe I was missing something, that the arrangement did not include any actual canon part for a specific reason I missed the first ten times, but apparantly not. I gave the 'Let-it-be' trance remix a fair chance too, and didn't see anything other then a stripped-down song on a beat. Apparantly that's exactly what it is. That's cool too, in that case it's just not my style.
Perhaps it's a simple matter of taste?
Always. :)

ReplyQuote
(@jewtemplar)
Reputable Member

You should search "pachelbel rant" on youtube. The guy shows a bunch of songs that are the same progression. Let it be (beatles), crying (aerosmith), couple of greenday songs, blues traveler, etc. There are lots ;)
That's a great video, but somewhat disingenuous. Basket Case is one of the exceptions, but most of the songs he lists as having the Pachelbel progression (or even just the first half of it) have the progression I V vi IV instead of Pachelbel's I V vi iii. The iii chord seems to be used much more rarely in popular than classical music.

Also, Rahul, I don't quite understand your argument. You are saying that since Basket Case is "of course" a great song, that an electric version of a classical piece with similar chords is necessarily viable? Better choice than what, exactly?

To be honest, I don't think there will ever be a version to top the original three violins and continuo, but that's just me.

~Sam

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Jeez, now even 'Let it be' sounds like Canon. I am starting a serious study of this 'Canon' right now. May lead me to write my own tunes finally...

ReplyQuote
(@jewtemplar)
Reputable Member

Jeez, now even 'Let it be' sounds like Canon. I am starting a serious study of this 'Canon' right now. May lead me to write my own tunes finally...
Let It Be shares only the chords I V vi with Pachelbel. To me, this barely warrants comparison. I V vi IV (as in Let It Be, With or Without You, among many others) has a very different feel to it than I V vi iii. The vi and IV chords share all but one note, whereas the vi and iii chords share only one. It's a much smoother transition in the former case, and the IV chord is much more stable than iii. That's why many songs repeat I V vi IV ad infinitum, but the Pachelbel progression has a second half before cadencing back to the tonic. Seriously, play D A Bm F#m, then play D A Bm G, or in whatever key you like. These have very different characters. Both nice, but very different.

~Sam

ReplyQuote
(@frank2121)
Reputable Member

did you ever get the tab ?

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2