Skip to content
Percussion question...

Notifications
Clear all

Percussion question (though I am a guitarist!)

12 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@mogal)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I apologize for anyone that reads multiple forums, as this is a repeat of another post in another one. I'm just trying to find someone who knows about drumming!

I posted this question over in the "In the Studio" forum and Demoetc suggested maybe I post it here or maybe in another place. He said there are a few of you drummers out there!

I'm actually a singer/guitarist in an all-mom band. Anyway, this is a percussion question. We have a drummer with a real drum kit, but I have seen another local band play around here and they use something that looks like this sampling percussion pad, instead of drums. Here is a link so you can see what I'm talking about:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--ROLSPDS

Anyway, my question is, what exactly is a sampling percussion pad, and can it take the place of a drum kit? There are a lot of times when we play out that we are very limited on space. If this thing can take the place of real drums, it might be something we would consider getting. Also, is it easy to play?

I am not positive this is what this woman uses in this local band, but it is definitely something similar. She just pats it with her hands. Sorry if this is the wrong catagory in the forum! I didn't see anything pertaining specifically to percussion anywhere!

I got an answer from demoetc in the studio forum, who said that we didn't really need the sampling part. It still is a bit over my head, really! However, it was helpful. We really don't need samples of stuff like dogs barking or anything, but it would be nice to have some way to play some interesting percussion without dragging around the whole set. It would also be nice to have something some of us "non drummers" in the band could play if called upon.

The deal is, there are 4 of us in this band. We all switch around on the instruments because we can all play more than one instrument. All four of us have played the bass, two of us can play keyboards, and all four of us can play the guitar. Unfortunately, only one of us is particularly skilled on the drums. When she is tied up playing something else, we are left with a couple little easy percussion instruments (djembe, shaker, tamb, or bongos), or no percussion at all. If we had some type of percussion machine that would take up less space AND be easy for one of us less skilled percussionists, that would help a lot.

Would the Roland HPD-15 HandSonic Percussion Controller be more appropriate? Of course, it is more expensive!

MoGal

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Yes, it will work in the "hands" of a relatively good percussionist. These can be played with hands or sticks. They do require amplification. Some really good news: You will be able to turn down the drummer's volume!

I own Roland's older, slightly less expensive version of this pad. The technology is the same. The drum samples are not too bad, and the pads are velocity sensitive -- hit harder = sound louder. Your drummer could probably do a reasonable job on one of these with practice. Note that she can also attach footpedals to trigger bass drum and high hat.

Other ways to go: 1. Have the drummer strip it down to snare + high hat. 2. Use congas and bongos instead of a kit.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@mogal)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

are you talking about the SPDS or the HPD? The HPD is more expensive. Thanks, by the way.

MoGal

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Short of testing it I don't think there's any way to tell if it'll work for you. On a side note you could try looping a drum track on those songs where the drummer is busy doing something else, like KT Turnstall and Kellar Williams do. I think this might do it Sampler. I tried to look up an example of someone using one on YouTube but they seem to be down right now.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

you still need someone to play the thing.
samplers are ok in my mind. they will never replace a live drummer.
before you try electronic see if your drummer would strip thhe drum kit to the bare essentials.
also look for different kinds of drum sticks. I am no drummer, but Ive seen drummers with these soft wands. they bang softer.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I'm referring the the SPDS. Take your drummer to a music store to try one out.

you still need someone to play the thing.
samplers are ok in my mind. they will never replace a live drummer.
before you try electronic see if your drummer would strip thhe drum kit to the bare essentials.
also look for different kinds of drum sticks. I am no drummer, but Ive seen drummers with these soft wands. they bang softer.
These are manually-triggered midi sample devices. They do require a "live" drummer (not programmer or keyboard player) to play the pads (triggers). They are basically a compact version of the electronic drum kits that a fair number of drummers have been using for years. They sound every bit as convincing as Phil Collin's (im)famous gated drums.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I don't have much to add, other than that I've never seen one of these used as a complete replacement for a drum kit (but as the others have said, it could do that, given someone hitting the thing at the appropriate times).
Most of the time I've seen one of these used it was to expand the number of available noises the drummer could make.

For instance, who wants to schlep around a hammer and anvil just to play "Maxwell's Silver Hammer"? Just load a sample of the anvil sound and away you go.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I don't have much to add, other than that I've never seen one of these used as a complete replacement for a drum kit (but as the others have said, it could do that, given someone hitting the thing at the appropriate times).
Most of the time I've seen one of these used it was to expand the number of available noises the drummer could make.

Of course a real drum kit is a more satisfying experience; these are more akin to playing practice pads. In any case, these pads come with complete drum kit samples -- if fact, for several types of kits, and will also trigger other MIDI devices. Anyone who's ever had to pack four or five people onto a 5 foot by 10 foot bar or coffehouse "stage" will appreciate this device.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Replace a drummer.

Buaaaahaahaahaahhaahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahah

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Replace a drummer.

Buaaaahaahaahaahhaahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahah

never -- new toys for the drummer!

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@mogal)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hey, we're not really REPLACING a drummer - it is just that our drummer sometimes has to play bass or keyboards. Actually, there is one song that she plays drums, keyboard and sings at the same time - how about that????

Anyway, we are just looking for something to use when there is not enough SPACE to have a drum set and/or when we need some percussion and our drummer is elsewhere playing something. Don't mean to insult any drummers!

MoGal

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Don't mean to insult any drummers!

I know and I'm sorry for my snide comment.

Been going through some not so good moments for drummers lately. :x Or at least one in particular. Makes me want to take up guitar. :shock: NOT. :D OK, I have one on now. :oops:

I'm working on my 451Jam part.

How are you guys coming along with your parts? :)

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote