Clear all

Perfect Pitch Course

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@mike-mcdevitt)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Has anyone had any experience with the Perfect Pitch course? They have a 2 page ad in Guitar One magazine most months. I don't know if the course is any good, and it costs $139. I am looking for something that will improve my ear. This course claims to do just that.

Anyone who owns this course, please let me know what your results were.

Thanks,

Mike

(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

You can google up a ton of coarses and programs for pitch training that are just as good and are free. There is no silver bullet or miracle cure. If you where not born with perfect pitch, training your ear is going to take a lot of work. But it can be done and done just as well for free imo. This has been discussed several times on this forum. :)

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Hi Mike,

I found a couple of discussions about the perfect pitch coarse in the "Reviews of Instructional Material, CDs, and Shows" forum:
http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?t=4973
And:
http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?t=4935
Hope they help. I myself have never ordered the coases, but I did sign up for their email, and got stuff once or twice a day, (the guy is long winded), and had little "tips" like "think about what a C note sounds like, hum a C note, play a C note, and see if you're close when humming it, sit and hum a C note for 5 minutes, repeat..". I didn't last too long. :wink: I'd give their free email tips option a try first if they still offer it. It'll give you an idea of what you're going to get. Good luck.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@mike-mcdevitt)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the information guys. I was thinking about picking one up on ebay for about $70. It may be worth that much, if I can improve my ear, if I can listen to the CDs in the car during my daily commute.

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

Before you waste $70 you might want to try this.

http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/programs/PitchTrain/

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@lunchmeat)
Estimable Member

I was born with perfect pitch...beware; it is something you can lose. Listen to music that is in key at all times...always tune your guitar. Always. You need to get used to hearing a certain sound; once that sound is engrained in your mind, you'll know when a pitch is off. You'll be able to hear it, and feel it. Guitars are very sensitive, and due to their nature (six separate strings, one tuning ratio for each string) can sound incredibly bad even if they're a bit out of tune.

It might help if you compare pitches to a root pitch...I usually use middle C, but it'd be just as simple to use A - many metronomes have an A 440 tone. Might want to listen to that for quite a bit.

Listen to the CDs while you sleep, too - it'd be nice to have the information engrained in your subconscious.

Just my advice - take it with a grain of salt, as usual.

Edit: Actually, I don't think I was born with perfect pitch - I'm sure my mother used to sing to me in the womb, and I know there was a lot of music around me before I was born, but I guess if I wasn't born with it, it developed within the early years of my life. Just wanted to state that.

-lunchmeat

ReplyQuote