Clear all

Pick dilemma

12 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@tkn_dk)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I've been trying out a few different types of picks lately, and now have the following problem. I love the feel of Clayton acetal .5 mm picks (especially the flexibility), but prefer the sound of Dunlop tortex .5mm picks (much fuller bodied sound). So my question is, is there a pick or material out there will combine the two? Or is there *the* pick which I simply must try? This is for strumming on an acoustic dreadnought strung with D'Addario Silk&Steel stings (in case that matters). Preferably triangular/wedge-shaped picks, cause I have a personalized way (read: wrong) of holding the pick when strumming, which is easier with a larger grip area on the pick.

All I want is food and creative love.

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I'm afraid it's all down to trial and error. Each pick has it's own particular "feel" and no two are exactly alike. What may work for one person will almost certainly not work for the next man. Here's most of my collection. The one at the top left is one that I keep coming back to. The secondfrom botton right is one that I made from a piece of copper pipe

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@jimmy_kwtx)
Estimable Member

Picks are a matter of choice and what feels good to you. Everyone will recomend a pick type, brand, so on and so forth but what works for them/me/us will not necessarily be the best for you.

It sounds like you have been trying different types and brands. What ever is your "fav" for whatever style or git-fiddle you play will depend upon you and you only. Keep trying different things you will find your number "1".

Case in point, I prefer tortex dunlop "yellow" (don't care about size and specs--could really give a rats A**) the guy behind the counter knows what i want. it feels good after about 3 practices it starts to conform to the shape I hold. But every once in awhile when I go to the local music store I will buy 1-2 each of different types and "styles" of picks to experiment becuase you just never know.

Bottom line--What feels the most comfortable to you? What offers the flexibility to your particular "style"? What floats your boat.

Please don't take what I have given (IMHO) wrong. Sugesstions for the types of picks to use is a good question but only you (seems to be a trend here) will determine what will work best for.....you. :roll:

Good Luck and Rock On.

ReplyQuote
(@tkn_dk)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

That's quite a collection there, greybeard. I'll probably end up with my own just from trying different ones. At least picks are one of the cheaper guitar related things to experiment with. :P

All I want is food and creative love.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Like everyone has said, it's a personal thing that you have to decide on through trial and error. You should hear me when I've got a guitar in my hand but can't find one of my picks... I just can't use anything else without bitching :mrgreen:

Dunlop 'big stubby' 3 mm bass picks, FWIW. There's a couple in Greybeard's piccie up there, but they're the 1mm and 2mm versions. *walks off whinging*

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@jimmy_kwtx)
Estimable Member

Greybeard--

Noticed the quarter. :P

Dusty from ZZ used a Mexican Pecos from time to time.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I've just checked - the stubby is 3mm. Since then I've bought one or two other picks, including Pickboy Edge picks, that I've modified to near Jazz pick shape and a Fender jazz, almost mandolin, type pick.
The white round thing down at the bottom is a spacer for a bathroom cupboard door handle.

I've tried others, but you have to use non-ferrous coins, otherwise you get them sticking to the pickup pole pieces.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

and Brian May uses old sixpences

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

I just use D'Andrea Classics. No foreign objects yet.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

Have you tried Dunlop nylon? Very good sound and feel, IMHO. I use, for some odd reason, .60mm on my Tele, and .88mm on the Strat. Same string gauge (9-42) so I'm not sure why - they just sound better that way. Maybe it's because the Strat has a maple fingerboard therefore sounds brighter, whereas the Tele has rosewood. Oh I don't know - but it works for me :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I've just checked - the stubby is 3mm.If anyone wants me I'll be standing in the corner trying to think up an excuse... :oops:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member

I use fender california picks, cheap for 12 of them, I've had the same pack for 2.5 years (since I started to play) and thats all I've used so I'm used to them. I believe they are medium thickness, so theres something else to try out too.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote