Clear all

Pick Hand pain

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@guitarhack)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

sorry if this is in the wrong thread, but i didnt know where else to ask this. lately ive noticed some soreness and cramping in my picking hand during and shortly after practicing. ive always assumed that sort of thing was experienced in the fretting hand, but that isnt the case with me. i cant figure out what im doing wrong. i try to relax my grip of the pick and the fingers not being used as much as possible, but it hasnt seemed to help.
has anyone else experienced this? how did you cure the problem? thanks.

Dan

(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

Maybe it's your angle of attack? If you're standing up, perhaps you could try to lengthen the strap and lower the guitar so your pick hand can hang more naturally. Other than that, I'm not sure.

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

ReplyQuote
(@decieved)
Trusted Member

thats odd. i remember when i first started playing guiter, my left hand would always be in pain, but not my picking hand.

ReplyQuote
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

I would also recommend a little light hand exercise and therapy. Get a stress ball and squeeze it. Also buy one of those spring loaded-button-grip things. Get a set of those Chinese ying yang balls to roll around in your hand.

Also, be sure to love your hand. Give it a good massage now and then - Icy Hot is nice as well. But like anything, don't over do it. It should be gradual.

And if your hand is hurting while you are playing, take a break. It shouldn't hurt and you could end up doing more damage. If it persists, I recommend seeing a doctor.

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

It's quite possible you're resting your wrist on the guitar and bending at an odd angle?

The picking hand should sit free of the guitar and most of hte motion should come from the elbow, not the wrist.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@guitarhack)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

kingpatzer
Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:33 pm

"It's quite possible you're resting your wrist on the guitar and bending at an odd angle?

The picking hand should sit free of the guitar and most of hte motion should come from the elbow, not the wrist."

hey guys, thanks for the feedback. Kingpatzer, you may be right. after reading your post i realize ive been very sloppy lately. i do all my practice while sitting, and i eventually end up slumping, which surely puts my wrist at a bad angle. i need to work on my posture. seems like any problem you have always comes back to the fundamentals! thanks again, guys.

Dan

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

I can recommend to play standing with the guitar in a neckstrap.
Then you can adjust the height and angle of the guitar to get the most relaxed positions of the both hands. And then you also learn to play without looking att fretting fingers...

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote