Notifications
Clear all

Pick Thicknesses

50 Posts
33 Users
0 Likes
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

That probably points to a problem with your right hand technique. A heavy pick and a good solid rest stroke provides great tone.

Nah! Chacun a son gout! I'd probably dig listening to your tone, but it wouldn't be mine :wink:
Then you'd hate my picks -- handmade Wegen 3mm's that run about $25 per pick :) But they provide the best grip and tone I've ever seen. I also use the 2mm and 3mm dunlop's, but when I'm serious about creating good sound, I whip out the Wegen.

I would - and I'd lose them, all $25 worth :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

................handmade Wegen 3mm's that run about $25 per pick
The agate gives me that kind of tone, it's probably 3-4mm, but cost me EUR 7.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I've tried the agate picks, and I like them. You're right, it has very similar tonal qualities.

I confess at that point to saying I like the feel of the Wegen better. And since I've yet to lose one, I don't mind too much paying for them what they cost.

I'll probably change my mind if I end up running one through the dryer though :)

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Jim Dunlop Nylon .60mm 8)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Then you'd hate my picks -- handmade Wegen 3mm's that run about $25 per pick :) But they provide the best grip and tone I've ever seen.

And there ain't nothing like tone one can see! :wink:

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I will stick with my Fender celluloids or shell or whatever they are called, you know, the brown ones. I mostly use the mediums but sometimes heavy or thin if I want that slappy sound.

Now that visible tone has got me intrigued but I just can't afford to buy enough to keep them where I keep my picks now like under all the cushions, a few in each room, some in my car and one or two near the guitars.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

$25 for a pick? I lose at least two a week - I'd be bankrupt by March, or at least selling guitars to buy picks...

I use a medium pick, but I tend to strum more with fingers, so I can change to fingerpicking style quickly... the only time I use a pick a lot is when that index finger nail breaks....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

Just now I prefer Dunlop 0.60 mm when I play solo on my electric guitar with 0.09 strings.
With thicker plectrum I "stumbles" .

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
 gene
(@gene)
Estimable Member

Does anyone ever use metal picks?

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

And there ain't nothing like tone one can see!

:lol:

Dunlop Jazz III's for me. Or maybe it's Jazz II...nope Jazz III, just found one under my chair.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

i use Fender heavies, Fender mediums, and Dunlop light-medium green gels

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@pilot)
Estimable Member

If I do use a pick, which is rare, I use the Dunlop Tortex in either .60 or .73. I'm a finger picker (as opposed to a nose picker) by habit, and I prefer a thinner pick when the occasion arises.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Does anyone ever use metal picks?
Occasionally. I have a Dava metal-tipped pick, a solid silver pick and one that I made from a length of 15mm copper pipe.
Unless the pick is well played-in, it tends to be quite raspy. Of course, you have to like playing with a pick that has absolutely zero flexibility.
Just like plastic picks, different materials, different shaped tips and thicknesses do affect the sound, but not as much as plastic (IMO, anyway). If you want a very solid attack from your pick, try a metal one.
A coin will also make a very good pick. You can get different effects by using smooth-edged or milled-edge coins (these are very raspy). Brian May uses an old English silver sixpence. A US quarter is pretty good, though.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I think one of the reasons I never lose picks is that I keep my picks in a little carved wood box I bought at a garage sale. I'm pretty sure it's intended purpose is to store one's illegal smoked substance of choice, but it's a perfect pick case. I just have the habit of tossing my pick in there when I'm done, and it's large enough to not lose.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

I keep my picks in a little carved wood box I bought at a garage sale.

Now that's a good idea! I tend just to put mine down on an amp, or in my pocket, or on the edge of a music stand, and they just kind of slip away ... Still, since the ones I use for electric never seem to wear out, I suppose one has to help keep Jim Dunlop in business somehow :roll:

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4