50 Posts
33 Users
0 Likes
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@dave-t)
Reputable Member

Dunlop .48 mm on my acoustic works best for me.

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

I use between .65 and 1mm.

I find dunlop .88's are a good compromise between staight strumming and lead.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@thectrain)
Estimable Member

I like to use the Dunlop jazz III's most of the time(assuming i can find any). Sometimes I use the Jazz II's cause they have a warmer sound. Although depending what I am playing on acoustic I use a really thin 0.4. And when I can't find any of my new 6 pack of Jazz III's I use a quarter. I really do like the tone of the quarter but its no good for the strings and i'm afraid of putting a huge scratch in the finish.

ReplyQuote
 gene
(@gene)
Estimable Member

Thanks for the info Greybeard, but what do you mean by raspy?

ReplyQuote
 gene
(@gene)
Estimable Member

ReplyQuote
(@elgalad)
Eminent Member

I have a friend who keeps all of his pick in a safe hidden in his bedroom cupboard :? . And yet he keeps his AU $2,000 flat-top Gibson LP in an unsecured hardcase against the same cupboard. I think I'd be more worried about losing the guitar than the picks, lol

Use the Big Muff, Luke

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Run the edge of a coin along the low E string and you get the idea.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 gene
(@gene)
Estimable Member

Ok, I get it, not a pleasant sound.

ReplyQuote
(@flintstone)
Trusted Member

.88mm tortex for me.

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

That probably points to a problem with your right hand technique. A heavy pick and a good solid rest stroke provides great tone.

Nah! Chacun a son gout! I'd probably dig listening to your tone, but it wouldn't be mine :wink:

You made me think, though, with that comment, Kingpatzer - so I went on a pick exploration!

You're right, you know - there's a lot more control of dynamics in a heavier grade - I can still get my light, fluid runs picking lightly, but dig in and there's far more tone and attack. Well - after all these years :oops:

Thanks KP! 8)

Still can't get on with these rigid jobs though - so I've ended up with Dunlop Nylon .88's - the very dark grey ones. Now I'll just have to discover how to find the things on a dark stage :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I've just discovered the Pickboy Edge plectrum. It's slightly smaller than a standard plectrum, but not as small as a jazz pick. It's a carbon/nylon mix - very rigid, but with a fairly sharp point.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I've just discovered the Pickboy Edge plectrum.
That's funny - I clicked on this thread to post about the Pickboy carbon nylons, but GB got in just ahead of me. These are the picks that led to the Jazz III giveaway contest! (The Jazz IIIs are nice, they're just smoother and, well, jazzier. The Edge picks seem to have a little more bite.)

I got .60mm for acoustic strumming, 1.00s for electric. They are stiffer than many other picks of the same thickness, so you get the control and attack of thicker picks, and click-free comfort of nylons. Nice!

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@havocdragon)
Trusted Member

Wow, no Clayton pick players other than me?

I use 3 different types of Clayton jazz style picks, the white ones(acetal), the black ones (treated acetal), and the transparent gold (ultex). Generally I use the black ones the most, especially when I am doing fast picking that needs to be super clean ala eric johnson type stuff. The ultex are great for bright crisp attack for leads.

All my picks are between .60 and .80 I think.

I used to play dunlops, but alot of them got too flimsy for me at that thickness, and ive noticed alot of excess plastic on the ridges of their picks, which can lead to some unwanted tone =(.

Many animals were harmed in the making of this signature.

ReplyQuote
(@nolongerme)
Honorable Member

Jim Dunlop nylon .60 (light grey) always, on electric - Fender tortie medium on acoustic.

I use the Jim Dunlop nylon .60 on my electric and on my acoustic.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4