Clear all

Picking excersises.

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@azraeldrah)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I'm tryin to improve my picking techniques but i cant think of any excercises other than the typical kinda scale things etc... can anyone recomend some? i have left hand excersises comin outa my ears! are there really so few for the right hand?

This signature is a forgery.

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Practicing finger exercises and scales should part of your daily practice routine. The amount of time you devote to finger exercises and scales depends on you and how hard your willing to work at your goals as a guitarist. I spend a considerable amount of time practicing finger exercises and scales, because I know how useful they are for improving my accuracy, consistency, muscle memory, and speed. Here's the basic one finger per fret/ per string exercise and thoughts on being creative with both finger exercises and scales.

Start on the 1st fret index finger on the low E and work your way up to the high E, once you get to the high E index finger on the forth fret, start back to the low E. Then move up one fret and start again working your way all the way up the neck, then work you way back down the neck covering all the notes on all the frets. Be creative use alternate fingers, slide up or down a fret, mix it up. Even practice "palm muting", try them with a metronome or drum machine for timing.

|-----------------------------------------1-2-3-4----|
|---------------------------------1-2-3-4------------|
|-------------------------1-2-3-4--------------------|
|-----------------1-2-3-4----------------------------|
|---------1-2-3-4------------------------------------|
|-1-2-3-4--------------------------------------------|

|-4-3-2-1--------------------------------------------|
|---------4-3-2-1------------------------------------|
|-----------------4-3-2-1----------------------------|
|-------------------------4-3-2-1--------------------|
|---------------------------------4-3-2-1------------|
|-----------------------------------------4-3-2-1----|

Learning good technique involves paying attention when your practicing Finger exercises and scales. This will improve your technical playing level. You'll notice a big improvement in many different areas of you playing. Others will hear and see the difference in your picking accuracy, finger dexterity, and stamina when you are playing songs. Go at your own pace and focus on a good clean sound. Not to forget working on equal note values.

Most of all make it fun, be creative. See how many different sounds you can get out of just one.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@azraeldrah)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

yeah i do finger exercises and scales alot... its more the picking hand that im after... but cheers.

ReplyQuote
 Val
(@val)
Estimable Member

Fingerpicking for Beginners

ReplyQuote
(@azraeldrah)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

aaaaaah haaaaaaaaa. thankies