picking up speed

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@reynold)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

hi again :D
how to pick up speed for flatpicking? what should be the practice process ?? it seems to me it is very difficult to pick up speed in this style as u have to remember the melody at the same time, when i try to go fast i mess up, i miss a note or stroke and everything goes down. by the way is speed essential for flatpicking??
thanks

" Take what you can from your dreams and make them real as anything " - Dave Matthews.

rip
(@rip)
Eminent Member

Reynold,

Start out slow. Slower than you think. Start so slow that you CAN'T make a mistake. Use a metronome or drum machine. ALWAYS use a time keeper when practicing!

Did I mention play slow? If you perfect your flatpicking slow (slower) it will come naturally when you pickup the pace.

Practice makes perfect is a fallacy. Simply practicing something and making mistakes merely makes you inherit problematic playing. You must slow down your pace until you can play without mistakes... "Perfect practice" makes you better...

Good luck,
Rip

Author of "Survivor" - http://www.vaughnripley.com

ReplyQuote
(@reynold)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Reynold,

Start out slow. Slower than you think. Start so slow that you CAN'T make a mistake. Use a metronome or drum machine. ALWAYS use a time keeper when practicing!

Did I mention play slow? If you perfect your flatpicking slow (slower) it will come naturally when you pickup the pace.

Practice makes perfect is a fallacy. Simply practicing something and making mistakes merely makes you inherit problematic playing. You must slow down your pace until you can play without mistakes... "Perfect practice" makes you better...

Good luck,

Thank u so much rip, really liked ur advice, and hope it will be of great help.
bye bye
Rip

" Take what you can from your dreams and make them real as anything " - Dave Matthews.

ReplyQuote
(@reynold)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thank u so much rip, really liked your advice, hope it will be of great help.

ReplyQuote