Clear all

pickup wiring

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@leear)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I recently put twin bladed pickups in my tele with 4 conductor wiring. Long story short i built the guitar from the ground up looks awesome (pics soon) but now no sound comes out. I followed the pickup instructions correct I think.. I want them as humbuckers. Any ideas?

No matter where you go.... There You are! Law of Location

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Picture of your wiring? Diagram you used?

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Well... there are so many possible problems it's almost impossible to list. Can you post a schematic of how it's supposed to be wiring/ what you wired? With 4 conductor humbuckers you have 1 hot, 1 ground and the 2 other wires are connected together. As well, make sure all grounds are connected and all controls (pots, switch, etc.) are grounded.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@leear)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

there was a green wire=hot
a black wire=ground
a read and white??
and a shielded ground

I hooked the green to the switch where it goes then all the grounds went to a pot
and the red and white are taped off

No matter where you go.... There You are! Law of Location

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Did you have a wire going from the switch to the output? How did you wire the volume pot? Is there a bridge ground? Do you have any tone pots? Again, it's hard to say anything without a diagram.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

It's hard to debug wiring without being there so what you can do is get a bit of paper and a pencil and draw out the wiring that you did in your guitar - don't use the schematic but instead draw from what actually exists in the guitar. Now compare that drawing with what your schematic says. Where they're different is where your problem is. If they match then there is a component failure somewhere.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

Whenever I wired my pickups for the first time I did everything correct but no sound came out. It was my first time soldering (spelling?) and I guess I had what are called COLD spots or something where I screwed up the solder.

ReplyQuote
(@combs)
Eminent Member

Whenever I wired my pickups for the first time I did everything correct but no sound came out. It was my first time soldering (spelling?) and I guess I had what are called COLD spots or something where I screwed up the solder.

AKFlyingV, you are refering to a cold joint. This is where the connection moves very slightly just as the solder is solidifying. The look of the solder will be a dull colour and it should be nice and shiny.

The best way to do a joint to have the connection good and solid prior to any solder being applied. Depending on the connection type this could be wrapping the wire around the post or pushing the wire through the hole in the tab and then securely bending the wire up either side.

Another good tip is to tin the tag first. This is applying a coating of solder to the tag before approaching it with the wire.

If you cannot mechanically secure the connection prior to soldering, then make sure you tin both the tag and the wire prior to soldering them together.

Soldering is a bit of an art, so I would strongly suggest practicing for quite some time with some scrap wire and maybe a bit of circuit board before you go anywhere near your expensive equipment.

Hope that helps.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Lots of information here on wiring pickups that may be helpful to you.

http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/index.html

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote