Clear all

Vintage or modern trem

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@eljoekickass)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I'm looking to replace my hardware from silver to gold, and i noticed that the modern trems have different saddles from the vintage ones. I have a highway 1 so mine came with vintage saddles. The modern ones cost more so i'm wondering why they cost more. Are they better in some way?

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Are you asking about the entire bridge-trem assembly or just the saddles? IIRC, vintage saddles are stamped and modern are cast. As for the vintage versus modern trems/bridges, there is some drilling and possibly routing to make this change. If you are a heavy trem user or simply prefer to float the trem, go modern. If you like the vintage style and can live with down-only bends, vintage is fine -- install it flat against the body (again, down-only bends). While vintage trems on the less expensive Fenders/Squiers are usually floated these days, they don't work as well as the modern in that configuration.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Hi :D

I heard that the more modern cast saddle type, 2 point synchro trem bridges were actually designed to reduce the
characteristic Fender 'twang'.
This being that they came out on the 'new' Fender American Standard Strats during the late 80's....
A time when no one was interested in Fenders or Gibbos. (ThankX to (bad) Hair Metal)
So they tried to de-twang the Strat a bit in the hopes that it would be more widely accepted.

I have 2 Strats:
1 with the newer offset cast 2 point trem,
and 1 with the old (original) style stamped 6 screw trem.

The older one is twangier.
I really couldn't say if it was all due to the saddles though, as there are not TWO things the same on either Strat.

Actually, there are a few styles of Fender bridge saddles;
The original stamped ones that ran basically from 54 to mid year 71.
Then they were changed slightly...
A more boxy and brighter version of the old stamped style.
These ran from mid 71 to 87 or so when they were changed to the offset cast saddles.

I've heard plenty of talk about how the old original bridges and saddles were impossible to deal with.
I haven't had any problems with my vintage bridge and saddles.
It actually stays in intonation WAY better than my 2 point trem.
I prefer it any day over the newer style... And I think it looks way cooler.

I don't use the trem systems though.
Mine are both flat to the body with no bars screwed in.
I have had the newer one set up to float, and it worked fine.
Couldn't say about the vintage one - always been flat.
I would believe Greg on that issue.

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Here's the original stamped 'Pat Pend' saddles that ran from 54 to 71. (Like mine)

Here's the saddle that Fender switched to in mid year 71. (Actually, the entire trem/bridge/saddle was changed)

And here's the modern 'American Standard' saddles. (Two point bridge)

Note that the intonation screws on the modern saddles are off center.
They will not work on a vintage 6 screw bridge.

I think I have seen center screw versions.
If you wanted to switch to the newer cast style, then you'd have to hunt those down.

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Not surprised by the de-twang-it story or the way it was achieved. Massier cast or machined saddles would contribute to less sharp attack and more sustain => less twang than for the lighter, less massy stamped saddles.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote