Clear all

Pics of the Fender Black Out Telecaster

12 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Here's some pics of my new axe. The Seymour's sound excellent! Haven't played it enough yet to give a good review, so I'll just post these until then.

Unfortunately, as this following pic shows, there was a rather large blemish. Normally this would bother me, but seeing what I paid for this thing, and the fact they are completely sold out of them, I'm just going to live with it. This is going to be my "work horse" anyway.

Rubbed off paint! Oh well!

Turns out the body is made of mahogany. The Fender website and MF both say Bassword. Another pleasant surprise! The pups are SD SH-1n RP '59 Reverse Polarity (neck) and SD SHPGP-1b Pearly Gates Plus (bridge).

Just had to share. :D

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

ooh <drool> Nice, very nice.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

beautiful guitar!

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks! Of course, this thing is NOTHING like an actual Tele. I wanted a Tele for single pups and twang, I end up with a rock and roll producing humbucker equipped beast instead. Carved top and set neck to boot. About as far from a traditional Tele as you can get. I guess that leaves another slot open for a future guitar purchase though. Darn the GAS! :D

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

nice lookin axe my friend :wink:
that carved top and dbl hummers with the tele shape makes my eyes twitch tho. :shock:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

I have never been a tele fan, but you have just shown me the first one that I would want to own myself. Beautiful axe, my friend! Enjoy her!

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

That is so pretty. WOW

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I love that color! Nice, very nice indeed!

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I had to spend some quality time with the gf last night, but I did get to play it for about an hour and a half while she was at dinner with her folks (hate to say it, but I turned down going with them so I could play :twisted: ). This is a much different beast than my Epi LP. The tones I was accustom to getting on certain settings were much different. Of course, that's a good thing because that allows room for both in my tone arsenal.

Anyway, the neck is very nice and easy to play. It's a 25.5 scale with 22 frets and the neck has a 15.75” radius. I really liked the fact that the neck was finished. My hand just slid down it with ease. The action was almost dead on to my liking and the intonation was only a few cents sharp on the 6th, 5th and 4th strings. The others where dead on. So no immediate setup was needed. I tuned it up and plugged her in and immediately noticed that Pearly Gates Plus is one hot pup! I played it clean into my Deluxe Reverb it sounded fantastic. The neck pup was a lot more muddy. I'm still not sure I like it, actually. More playing with various settings on my modeler will be necessary before I make my final judgement on it. The PGP will not be going anywhere though. The jumbo frets also took me a few minutes to get use to. I think my Epi has medium jumbos so that's what I've been use to playing. I wouldn't think they would make that much of a difference, but they did at first. The fit and finish on this guitar was very nice (except the one huge blemish pictured above, but it's not all that noticable because of it's location). I look forward to seeing what kind of noise I can get out of this baby in the next few days!

So, final thoughts on this guitar is that it's a keeper for sure. Not what I was originally looking for tone wise, but I just couldn't pass up this beast for the $249 price tag. I'm really glad I didn't. Hopefully I'll get some sound clips up by this weekend.

ReplyQuote
(@mr_clean001)
Estimable Member

I have to say, that is a beatutiful instrument. I didn't know Fender made anything that looked remotely like that. She is pretty. Where did you get her?

"Practice until you get a guitar welt on your chest...if it makes you
feel good, don't stop until you see the blood from your fingers.
Then you'll know you're on to something!"
- Ted Nugent

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I got it at Musicians Friend. They were blowing them out for $299 (they normally sell for $630 and retail for $899) but I got it for $249 since they still honored the $50 off email I got from them. The pups in this bad boy sell for around $150 if bought seperately, so I got a bonus of having a guitar to go with them for another $100. Not too shabby! :D I tried to find the link, but since they are sold out I couldn't find it. Here's the link to it on Fender's site:

Blackout Tele

Here's a link to Music123, but they have the wrong guitar displayed. The guitar pictured here is actually the Custom Telecaster FMT HH. Still a very nice looking guitar though. Curious to know which guitar you'd actually get if you ordered one though.

Blackout - Music123

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

that's the coolest looking guitar i've seen in awhile flippen cool, :o

if i was to buy a fender it i'd want that
Minus Human

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go