Clear all

Pirates YARR!

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@kroikey)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hi y'all. After picking a few Disney songs I'm feeling it about time to play something grown up. I've been viewing lots of pieces played by Sungha Jung, and the one I've settled on is Pirates of the Caribbean "He's a Pirate", arranged by Wolfgang Vrecrum. If you've seen this piece you'll know its a bit of a speedy finger twister, but sounds very cool!

After searching and searching for the tabs for this I finally found them on the original arrangers website. Now I'm a few days in and I'm finding that every night I'm having to relearn the piece, not from complexity, but because the tabs from the Wolfgangs website are wrong. Its not even a little wrong, it seems its wrong on purpose!

For instance: is simply

3-3-3-3-3-3-5-5- 3-3-3-3-3-3-5-5-
------------0-0- 0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-
5-5-5-5-5-5----- ----------------

And: is simply

---------------- 2-2-2-----------
6-6-6----------- 2-2-2-----------
7-7-7----------- ----------------

These little things are very annoying as I keep noticing easier ways to play things through viewing the original on youtube and comparing it to what I'm struggling with.
I don't know whether to curse the guy or praise him for improving my theory and technique in an indirect way. lol

I'm about 50 seconds of 127 into the piece, so its tantalisingly close now. Hopefully I can do it justice, its been sounding like it should for a couple of days now, just not quite at speed. I've a dilemna whether to rewrite the tab for it or just learn it correctly and leave the tab alone. Once I know a song I never have to look at tab anyway.

Anyone got this song in their repetoire?

(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Hmmm... Looks like he might have used some automated software to convert from standard notation to TAB, and didn't bother doing a sanity check?

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@kroikey)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Heres where I'm at so far, "He's a Pirate".
I changed to the dreadnought and its a struggle playing after 6 months of the baby taylor lol. The intonation is a mile better though. I usually play this about 25% faster, but as the guitar felt strange and its still a Work-In-Progress I thought I'd get a recording out to mark my progress.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903342

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

tabs are like looking at someone else's homework paper. you don't really get to complain when the teacher marks it wrong.

nice playing, though. sounds like you're on your way. sort of medieval sounding.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Yes, it sounds very good! It has that medieval air.

ReplyQuote