Clear all

playing and singing

24 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@cabreraluvr7)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I was just wondering how long it took ya'll to play and sing at the same time. It's taking me forever!!! So I just want to hear other peoples way and how long it took you. :D

(@dl0571)
Reputable Member

It depends. If Im playing something that's just strumming then I can pretty much play and sing with ease. Same goes for simple picking. However, if the song is more complex, I have a little trouble doing them at the same time. It's all about practice bro. And lots of really embarassing mistakes.

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote
(@briank)
Estimable Member

I've been playing for about a year, and I'm kinda getting the hang of playing simple chords (G,C,D) and singing AS LONG AS there rhythm of the singing goes with the rhythm of the guitar strumming. For instance, "Horse With No Name" is a very simple song to learn, but it is (in my opinion) VERY difficult to sing with because the guitar rhythm is a bit offbeat.
So I just try to find songs where the rhythm is easy, with no crazy syncopation. 8)

"All I see is draining me on my Plastic Fantastic Lover!"

ReplyQuote
(@waltaja)
Estimable Member

the first one i learned to play and sing was Hotel California, then Yer So Bad and then Wish you Were Here. o never tried singing and playing until a few months ago, but if you know the song well, playing wise that is, sinnging isn't to bad. the 3 i mientioned above i can just space out and play. then i throw words in

"I got a woman, stay drunk all the time!"

-Led Zeppelin-

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Singing? You want to hear me singing?

Well, ok . . but you have to sign this medical waiver first . ..

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

If you know the song well, and the strumming/picking pattern comes automatically to you, it shouldn't be too hard to sing along....what is hard is putting any degree of conviction or passion in your voice, something I still haven't mastered...and I've been trying for years....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Playing and singing can be tough, especially if the rhythm of the guitar is unusual.

Sometimes it is like rubbing your tummy and patting your head at the same time! :D

But that's just it. If you try rubbing your tummy and patting your head quickly without ever practicing it's super difficult. But if you take one hand and start rubbing your tummy until you get that feeling locked down in your mind, and then slowly start patting your head, you get the feeling of doing both things at once.

Pretty horrible analogy huh??

But that is how I do it. I usually work on the guitar VERY SLOWLY (especially if it is a difficult rhythm) and then slowly start to sing to it. You have to go real slow. But you will get the feeling of doing both at the same time. Then you memorize that feeling. With a little practice it becomes really easy.

Anyway, that's how I do it.

Now quick. Pat your tummy and rub your head! 8)

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Actually that's a great analogy but, how the heck am I gonna play my guitar if I have my hands all over the place! :P

I'll add a lot of songs during chord changes and rhythm changes have vocal/word changes. It comes down to REALLY listening to the song you are trying to learn.

I know, I know….. It's easier said than done but, listen with out your guitar in hand. I find it easier to get the guitar part down first then, talk your way through the song. Don't worry about “singing” it. Just talk your way through it. When you get more comfortable with your playing (with out thinking) you will find that your vocals will shine though with out you even knowing it.

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

I played and sang for the first time in public about a month after I picked up my guitar. I wasn't well pleased with the effort but the audience didn't complain. Now after a year and a half of playing and singing it is pretty much effortless.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@cabreraluvr7)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Singing? You want to hear me singing?

Well, ok . . but you have to sign this medical waiver first . ..

Thats really funny!! :D

ReplyQuote
(@backtothefuture)
Estimable Member

I always learned to play & sing a new song SLOWLY, but Tracker's TALKING your way through it sounds pretty good. Going to try it my next new song.

Dennis

ReplyQuote
(@cabreraluvr7)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Playing and singing can be tough, especially if the rhythm of the guitar is unusual.

Sometimes it is like rubbing your tummy and patting your head at the same time! :D

But that's just it. If you try rubbing your tummy and patting your head quickly without ever practicing it's super difficult. But if you take one hand and start rubbing your tummy until you get that feeling locked down in your mind, and then slowly start patting your head, you get the feeling of doing both things at once.

Actually that makes perfact sense to me. Not that I'm special or anything but I've always been able to do that. Your comparision makes alot of sense and has kinda helped me.thanx!! 8)

ReplyQuote
(@gizzy)
Estimable Member

I have a DVD of Van Halen, Eddie Van Halen does not like to sing and play at the same time, also Sammy Hagar said that he can put more into his singing when he don't have a guitar distracting him so it made me feel better about it also, if you ever watch country singers have the time they just play a couple chords and sing and just have the guitar there to have something to hold on to and the band behind the main singer plays most of the rhythm, so I just figured alot of people have this problem.

:D

ReplyQuote
(@jculver)

yeah man, i sing and play guitar in my band and at first its not easy to do. But i found that i got to be able to play the songs almost without even paying attention. so by that time you've pretty much perfected the music part. start singing.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I always learned to play & sing a new song SLOWLY, but Tracker's TALKING your way through it sounds pretty good. Going to try it my next new song.

Dennis
Let me know how you make out. Personally that's how I do it.

I work on the guitar part till I get it no less than 90% with out repetitive mistakes (I know, I go easy on myself (besides 100% takes a long time)) then, guitar while talking through the song….. And trust me, sometimes I don't get a whole word out before I mess up the guitar part but, I can “hear” where I messed it up.

I can sing almost all the songs I play, just not while actually playing it…. it takes time. That's why I focus on the guitar parts while talking what I already know. I know where the changes are. That's why it is so important to know and REALLY listen to the song you are trying to play and sing in and out, sideways and backwards.

You will fine sometimes that the vocals actually hide the guitar parts and make it hard to play and sing. Again, that's why you need to know the song in and out. When you come to a part that that happens, timing will help you get out of it by, replaying it and finding that dark spot. Where did you last hear the guitar? And, when and at what point did you hear it again? Add the two together and you will find your answer.

Then again, this is what works for me. I hope I may have enlightened someone else. Everyone's different and it's not easy. Do what works for you.

Good luck and have fun to all!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2