Clear all

playing and singing

24 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@cabreraluvr7)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I know the song I'm trying to play backwords and forwords. For some reason it just doesnt sound right. Maybe the site I'm getting my tab from isnt 110% correct. Any suggestions on a good site so I could compare?

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

POWERTAB!!!

IMO, they have some of the best tabs out there. They are "rated" for you and the people there know their stuff.

You have to download the PTab Software from the site above.

After that go here and go crazy downloading all the tabs you want for FREE! Did I mention it's FREE and you can hear the tab from the software that you downloaded. Did I mention you can HEAR it!!!!

Sorry for going crazy! I can get a little mental sometimes. But anyway, I get ALL my tabs there, mostly because they ARE great tabs and you can hear them as well.

Happy tab huntin'!

ReplyQuote
 klim
(@klim)
Reputable Member

Yeah, that's a tough one. Singing and playing at the same time. I still can't do it right, it's that right hand, left hand thing and then throw in the vocals.

However, I have found that when I play with someone else it becomes easier to play and sing. Especially if you know the song. If I've never heard the song before, I can play the chords, but won't be able to even attempt the vocals as I don't know the melody (especially since I can't sing in the right key).

So if you're going to try to attempt singing;

1. Start with a song that you know by heart. Something that you've listened too many times over.

2. Play the song by strumming the chords only one beat per measure and sing atop this.

3. Play with someone else.

4. Play along to a CD.

A friend of mine (that plays and sings in a band), has told that he sometimes, just stops playing when he starts singing. He'll play very basic chords or melody when singing the verses and plays the melody for the chorus.

So far I have found that most Neil Young's songs are easier to play and sing along too. I was told that early Beatles are easy to sing and play as well.

The fact is that I am a terrible singing, but I love playing the guitar. If I can combine the two together, it just makes my playing more fun.

And yes it's hard, but it does gets easier if you practice every day (a year and half ago I couldn't any barre chords).

enjoy

ReplyQuote
(@peaveyt60)
Eminent Member

Hey
I had the same problem when i was first starting out. I play out alot now, and when i do sing a song in my band, there is a certain way i prepare for it. First, just like everyone has been saying, learn the chords/notes well. Then, play the song and just sing the song in your head. I do this a few times, then actually go through and sing it. When you get to the point where you're tackling songs like voodoo child or you're like me and am the lead player that still wants to sing, this method will come in really handy.
Hope that helps
Ben

PS Practice all the time

ReplyQuote
(@soju04)
Eminent Member

I was really having problems with this also until this weekend and I came across a tab for Pink Floyd's - Mother. After getting the chords down fairly well then I started signing it and the words really flowed with the chords. It really helps a lot once you can play the chords without having to think about them. My singing still sucks but at least I was able to get started with this song. Good luck!

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

If I Only Had (Another) Brain

Try that.

The magic bullet for putting the two together is to take just as much time perfecting the singing as you did learning to play the song.

ReplyQuote
(@cabreraluvr7)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

wow! that was a really good article! It helped me even more. I've taken alot of the advice (and similies) people have said and molded it into my own way of playing and singing. I've improved on the song I was trying to do alot. When I first posted this topic I was ready to throw my guitar out the window and rip up my tab! :roll: Now it seems alot easier! Plus that article just helped me some more! It's ironic it talked about singing blackbird b/c thats the only lesson I've ever really gotten into. So thanx! :D

ReplyQuote
(@mapscientifik)
Eminent Member

Hi !

I think a good exercise for singing/playing is to play song while you try to talk to someone...

This helped me a lot !

I hope it will fit to you !

ReplyQuote
(@cabreraluvr7)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

whoaa! that would be like...whoaa! I never thought of that. odd.. I'll have to try it 2marrow. Im going to see my cousins so I'll try it then!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2