Clear all

Playing in an orchestra

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@steve-0)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Now I'm just curious about this because I find it interesting, I know that you don't really need any formal education to teach guitar (by that, i mean, you don't need a music degree to teach guitar, but it would definitely be an asset), but I was wondering if say violin or classical guitarists or pianists in a classical style orchestra need to go to school for this, or do they just need a certain formal level of education (from a conservatory for example).

By the way, I'm not seriously considering this as a career, it's merely out of curiousity, but if it's not too complicated i may, if i would be qualified someday, consider playing in an orchestra because i think it'd be fun.

Steve-0

(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Many towns have a community orchestra that can be a low-pressure introduction.

Laz

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I studied percussion in college, and I sit in now and then on tympani at a community orchestra - it is a lot of fun.

The level of musicianship varies a lot. First chair seats are usually music teachers or retired pros - the leader of the brass here was with a minor symphony (Shreveport, as I recall) before moving here. The rest of the seats are filled with ardent amateurs, with a couple of 'I played in high school 30 years ago and want to get back into it' folks.

It's a good way to develop other skills too. If you want to conduct at a rehearsal, say so - odds are excellent you'll get a shot.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks alot, I may consider joing one of those community orchestras someday, assuming that it wouldn't be too much work doing that and having a job/going to school.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote