Notifications
Clear all

Playing in Different Positions

32 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Lots of people who hang their guitars low end up having wrist pain problems.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member

Lots of them are pretty terrible guitar players too. There are exceptions of course, (Slash, James Hetfield, a few others come to mind). You have to have giant hands to be able to play with any kind of proficiency with your guitar at your knees.

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Anybody want to try being "Count Stratula?"
Hanging upside down in a cave? . . . . "Holy riff, Stratman!"

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Speaking to what you said Wes, that's my point (somewhat) You play regular gigs and have been in bands for many years. It's a natural thing for you at this point. I'd bet you would be somewhat uncomfortable playing whilst sitting. (but factor in your years on playing here). Its a comfort zone kinda thing. I do have plans of putting a band together, so I'm going to HAVE to get used to playing while standing. I'm going to start practicing like I'm Angus. This way, should I ever need to run from an angry crowd, I can still keep playing while dodging projectiles. :lol:

KR2--+1

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

when I do stand I am just like Wes. I have the guitar on my hip.
howver, not always. I guess, like my pick hlding my guitar moves around.
hip style is my rhythm playing postion. when i lead my guitar moves a tad frontwards.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Blueline, I agree if you are playing electric in a band then you must learn to feel comfortable standing and playing. If you were doing acoustic, then you could go either way, standing or sitting. Good Luck

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Maybe I'll start a band that not only brings guitars, amps and drums to gigs but also couches and La-Z-Boy recliners. We'll all play sitting or laying down and call ourselves The Couch Potatoes.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Blueline
Speaking to what you said Wes, that's my point (somewhat) You play regular gigs and have been in bands for many years. It's a natural thing for you at this point. I'd bet you would be somewhat uncomfortable playing whilst sitting. (but factor in your years on playing here). Its a comfort zone kinda thing. I do have plans of putting a band together, so I'm going to HAVE to get used to playing while standing. I'm going to start practicing like I'm Angus. This way, should I ever need to run from an angry crowd, I can still keep playing while dodging projectiles.

KR2--+1

Yep, I'm just used to it. We practice every week for about 4 hours, I get a little tired of standing sometimes, especially if we practice after I work, I spend most of the day standing there. But you just get used to it.

Our bass player Mark often brings a stool and sits, nothing wrong with it, it even looks pretty cool.

Come to think of it, I was the only one standing. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I like the "Couch Potatoes" idea.

The concept isn't new. Several years ago Incubus toured with their last set on a stage set made to represent a den, centered around a couch, and they sat and played on it.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

The concept isn't new. Several years ago Incubus toured with their last set on a stage set made to represent a den, centered around a couch, and they sat and played on it.

I saw Incubus last summer and during the last part of their show, I could've laid down on a couch and took a nap. They were good live, but the last 30-40 minutes of the show, including the encore, was their slow, more atmospheric stuff. I know they usually end w/ Aqueous Transmissions, which is slow, but throw a rocker in as the last song of the first set or the opener of the encore. Since the last 7 or 8 songs were "down", I left feeling down.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

when I play lap steel I have to sit. when gigging with the lap steel I bought a drum throne. now that works great.
standing and playing a lapsteel is hard. I am no Junior Brown.

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

If you stand and play it, wouldn't it just be a steel? :D

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

If you stand and play it, wouldn't it just be a steel? :D

yeah. and a big mess too.

ReplyQuote
 Ragz
(@ragz)

i find it's easier to play standing than sitting. When i'm standing, i can play barre chords much easier than when sitting. If it sit for too long, my left (fret) hand starts to ache and cramp up. But when i stand and play, i can play for 4 or 5 hours without a break and no pain in my wrist or fingers at all.
However, with my small hands, i have to raise the guitar up. I can't play with it slung around my hips as that too feels awkward. I wish i could, as i like the look of the guitar being so low like that. However, i only play for myself at home anyway, so i'm not that fussed about it ;)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

The one thing I do not like about standing is using a Wah pedal. If I am sitting, I can really move the Wah fast, almost get a tremelo like effect. I do not use the Wah much live, but when I do, I use my left foot on the Wah so my stronger right leg can hold me up. I do not like to put weight on the Wah. But I tell ya, I am no lightweight, my right leg gets tired mighty quick. :roll:

I have seen a few bands where the guitarist sits. I know one guy that has bad back problems and has to sit. He plays well, it looks good. Nothing wrong with it.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3