Playing those songs which have an emotional resonance

17 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@shadyharrison)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hi, all.

I need some advice about performing emotional songs in front of people. I wrote a song for the SSG assignment of Week 28 which deals with meeting up with a friend I've lost "on the other side", so to speak. However, I can barely play it at home, and I'd like to be able to play it out, but worry about what might happen. Can anybody offer any advice on the issue of playing those songs which cause you to have a "lump in your throat"?

Thanks,

Shady

Take care,

Casey

Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

Funnily enought, Dylan's "Shelter from the storm" has this effect on me.

Play it 100 times. Then play it 100 more.

It'll never stop moving you, but the move won't go all the way to tears when you get really used to it.

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

The one I can't get through is "Will The Circle Be Unbroken", which was the closing tune of one of the bands I used to play with. (It was played at both parents and my older sister's funerals.) We played it every practice, we played it every gig. I never got through it without tears falling down my cheeks and my voice wavering and cracking. If you figure out how it's done, please let me know!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

I think that if you could play through it with that lump in your thoat, it will come across that much more powerful to the audience. Good Luck!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@shadyharrison)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, guys.

Thinking about playing it out tomorrow night for the first time. Hope I can get through it, because the crowd will be made up of regulars at the venue I play in, who know me well enough to say "You played that first track two years ago!" and are generally very complimentary, but this song might tip the balance.

Thanks again,

Shady

Take care,

Casey

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I too have a few songs that get to me deeply. sometimes more so than other times. I think when I am feeling out of whack, on a low end of a bio rhythm swing, or just plain sad those songs seem overpowering. then other times when I feel upbeat I play the song and everything is fine. I do sense however, that the song suffers then, as I don't play it with a much deep feeling.

you should be fine in front of an audience. don't you think their presence would put a damper on the water works?

I think it is very cool to be affected by music.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I find 'Hotel California' by Gipsy Kings full of emotional resonance. Most of their songs touch the heart.

ReplyQuote
(@shadyharrison)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, guys.

I managed to pull it off, but the song wasn't that well received. People clapped, but I could tell they preferred the first one I played..I don't think I'll play the song live again for a while.

Shady

Take care,

Casey

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member

What did the guys that usually complement you say ?

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
(@shadyharrison)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Absolutely nothing. A couple of them made general comments like "Good set", "I enjoyed what you did", but nobody said anything about the track. Some family members have complained that they find it too dark, so that's my qualification for not playing it again, unfortunately.

Take care,

Casey

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

I remember that one. :D
I liked the fingerpicking in it so much, I tabbed it out so that I could play it. :note1: :note2:
Never did got to the point where I could do the hammer-ons though :(

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member

Absolutely nothing. A couple of them made general comments like "Good set", "I enjoyed what you did", but nobody said anything about the track. Some family members have complained that they find it too dark, so that's my qualification for not playing it again, unfortunately.

Well those songs I guess are just for you, because when most people go to a bar or something its more to chillax and have a nice time, not be sad or anything, I actually like sad songs but maybe most people don't ?

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

I have a couple that cause me to choke up:

1. Empty Garden, Elton John. He and John Lennon were good friends. It makes me think of looking for someone who is special to you, but will never be there again.

2. Working Class Hero, John Lennon (of course). More anger than a lump. The song is very me.

3. How You Remind Me, Nickelback. Makes me think of what I really am inside and outside at times: not the greatest peson in the world. It may not be the gist of the song, but it's the words "How you remind me what I really am".

4. Runaway Train, Soul Asylum. For all the tortured, scared and runaway kids (because of the video).

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@shadyharrison)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, guys. It's good to hear I'm not the only one who's prone to having a "moment" whilst playing emotional songs. (Also, thanks Ken..you've pointed out to me that if other people can play it, then it's obviously not "too morbid.")

Take care,

Casey

ReplyQuote
(@hobson)
Noble Member

In 2005 I heard a song that was new to me sung by Judy Collins. It's called "I Can't Cry Hard Enough" and it's about losing a loved one. Around that time, my sister passed away. For literally years, I could not even listen to the song without tears coming to my eyes. It has been a slow process, but I eventually managed to record it. Can't say that I did great on it. I doubt that I could ever get through it in front of a live audience.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=832466&songID=6581580

Renee

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2