Clear all

Potential GAS...

51 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I've been dilligently budgeting and rebudgeting and rebudgeting for various musical purchases. Every time I think I've got it nailed down, I end seeing something else I want.......

and the final straw was me deciding that my 'ideal rig' must include a maple-necked strat (I much prefer rosewood, but sometimes....) and then seeing one on my local music shop's website for a decent price. Admittedly its unbranded (i.e. not a real strat), but it looks well made, and I decided I'd go in and play it and see how it does. Then, I got horribly ill, curtailing said plans. Now, they've taken it off the website :shock: and I suddenly realised how 'think about buying it' was more 'can't wait to get that bugger home and play it' :cry:

Fortunately, they still have one (I think, fingers crossed so much its really making typing difficult). So tomorrow I'm in there first thing. Provided its not absolute garbage, I shall have another guitar! Watch this space for updates tomorrow....

This is utterly terrible, since my 'budgeting' already involves an order on a Martin D15, a Spear Tomcat electric (so purty, lol), and a downpayment on a tele. :oops: I keep 'rationalising' that these are essential additions to my collection, since they genuinely fill tonal gaps in my arsenal. :roll: And then there's next years JB signature strat....uh oh. (pics of all bar the JB strat shall appear on this thread in due course, I promise. Swiftly followed by audio)

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I hope that works out for you!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Good luck with the GAS attack.

It will win!!! :twisted:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

:cry: :cry: :cry: it's gone.

this was similar to it (but it would have been proper white) - http://www.curlymusic.co.uk/index.pl?browse=products&id=700&detail=3

I was planning on doing work to it, but no. :evil:

However, they'll have more in march, and not getting does mean possibly getting this - http://www.curlymusic.co.uk/index.pl?browse=products&id=145&detail=3 :lol:

and I have decided what pickps I'm gonna put on my electric slide guitar project, so all in all not too bad.

I was just in the mood for chilling out tonight with another guitar in my bedroom. I haven't bought one for years, so I bloody well deserve it...honest. :roll:

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

So, whatcha got in mind for your slide guitar project?

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Well, its my first pickup upgrade (gonna do my Epiphone LP if it works out okay) and I v. much feel a bit like I'm shooting in the dark trying to choose pups (its hardly like you can test them in isolation of whatever guitar they happen to be on, lol), but I'm thinking of going with...........

DiMarzio Air Norton in the neck and Air Zone at the bridge. :D I've no idea how it'll work out, but they have to be better than the cheapo ones on it now. The guitar, incidently, is a beginner-style Encore LP-shape in black, but I'm sanding the paint off and gonna sand the neck down a bit too (the back is way chunky, but the truss rod sits quite high so I feel safe doing this), then paint it blood/cherry red stained kind of effect. Obv. raising the action a fair bit and using 11s or 12s (I use 10s right now, 'cause I have wussy gurl fingers).

And if that works out, its on to the Epi pup upgrade! But not for a while because (a) I'll be utterly broke, and (b) the Spear guitar is sorta LP-styled with SD Jazz and JB pups, so I wanna see how that plays before I make a decision. I don't just want to end up with two identical sounds.

Oh, and (c) because I'll be scheming the cash for that Yamaha Pacifica so's I can make my fretless guitar. :wink: Although the enthusiasm has faded a little since realising just how common fretless guitars are (they're bloody everywhere! just not, it seems, in Liverpool :roll: ).

* Children take heed - this is the effect of years of GAS resistance. :shock:

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

ReplyQuote
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member

I had a GAS Attack just after christmas. I got myself a BC Rich Warlock Bronze Series and an encore electrostick(Electro-acoustic). Suprisingly the encore, that was £60 cheaper than a tanglewood that was in the shop and the encore had a much better tone and feel to it, it has really heavy strings on it though, but i have some extra lights to change it to!

David

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229
Fender STD American Telecaster (Cola Red) - £849
Vox 15watt AMP (Valve pre amp) - £129
Acoustic/Electric Rhythm and Lead (Occasionally) Southport Elim Youth Band
Former Aftershock 24/7 Rhythm Guitarist (Band split)

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Sorry to hear you didn't get your "strat."

I really like that color combo myself.

Bish

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Scrybe has brought home her latest child. An Ibanez W20WNE. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I played, was satisfied (I need a guitar I can use for jam nights and not have a heart attack about it being nicked/broken every 5 mins), and took it to the desk. Then, one of the salesmen rushed over, shocked "Are you buying it?" said he. "Yeah, it's an alright guitar" I replied. "Bloody hell!! It's only been on display about 2 hours, I just tuned that thing! I knew it'd go fast, but not THIS FAST!" :mrgreen:

And it is exceptionally pretty. The only fault I can find with it is the fact that I need a mirror when playing so I can gaze at its prettyness. The photo on Curly's website really does not do it justice (pics will be posted here as soon as my camera charges up, promise! maybe even one of me playing it, lol). It sounds nice, and has an easy neck which feels like a strat or Ibanez electric - I keep making occasional clangers due to playing my classical for so long, but that'll fade in time. I think its money well spent though, as its already imroved my singing - I have to project a lot more strongly to be heard over the guitar, and I can strum songs and make them sound better than on the classical.

And my other purchases shall be waiting for me in a fortnight. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Except the white strat. That waits until March (good thing too, I'll be broke by the time this is 'over' :wink: ).

Oh, and I even managed to talk the guy who sold it to me into supplying a gig bag, some strings (2 packs) and a stand. 8)

There's nothing like the feeling of bringing a new guitar home to meet the family. You're bloody lucky I took 5 minutes out frmo playing to even type this. :mrgreen:

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

ReplyQuote
(@musica23)
Reputable Member

Scrybe wrote (in part):
And then there's next years JB signature strat....uh oh.

All I can say is you'll love next year's purchase. :D Are ya planning on Olympic White or Surf Green? Mine is white and (out of too many guitars), it has to be my favorite. Plays like a dream, sounds exceptional! :D :D :D

I also prefer rosewood to maple, but recently felt it necessary to put some maple boards in my line-up. :roll: I ended up with the 1957 commemorative Strat, a Baja Tele, and just last night I picked up my lil' ol' Mexican Arctic White Tele (maple board). With the possible exception of a PRS SE Custom in Matteo Blue w/trem (on order, easily cancelled if necessary), my GASing days are over. Doctor's orders. :evil:

Good luck with everything and keep us posted!

:D :D :D

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I also prefer rosewood to maple, but recently felt it necessary to put some maple boards in my line-up. :roll: I ended up with the 1957 commemorative Strat, a Baja Tele, and just last night I picked up my lil' ol' Mexican Arctic White Tele (maple board). With the possible exception of a PRS SE Custom in Matteo Blue w/trem (on order, easily cancelled if necessary), my GASing days are over. Doctor's orders. :evil:

Musica, I would really like to see some pix of your guitar collection. I also know sooner or later you WILL own a PRS. :wink:

Lastly, GAS days are never over. Trust me.

Bish

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

musica - I'm going olympic white all the way, that's long been decided. don't suppose you'd mind posting a brief review of the strat next time you drop by this htread would you? I was sooo tempted to get the JB now and sort the other guitars later, but I couldn't justify it since I already have an American Std rosewood strat, so the only thing it would add is better tuning and the chamfered heel (believe me, everytime I play high up the neck on my strat its like my GAS-demon starts chanting "chamfered heel...chamfered heel" in my ear :evil: ). But I really want one, so I've decided to put some cash away weekly to pay for it, and work hard enough to 'exhaust' my current strat. :wink:

Bish - yeah PRS make brilliant guitars..........that's my post-JB strat purchase. Again, I was tepted by the propsect of getting one of their lower end guitars for my birthday in March, but I decided it'd be better to wait and then get a higher end instrument. I'm really liking the McCarty Soapbar, but I'm gonna keep my options as open as possible until I'm in a position to start paying it off (not for another year at least, unless I make that platinum album, of course). I don't recall if you said which PRS you own?

Instead of the cheapo PRS as a birthday present, I'm planning for a Fender American Telecaster, as Dolphin music is selling them with a fairly large reduc on the RRP. I just have to decide which colourways, and which neck. :? I'm really not sure about the neck, I've been a rosewood player for so long, I've never owned a maple-neck before, but something about the tele is pulling me towards maple. Think I'll go into town sometime this week and annoy the store's staff by playing various teles for a while and see if that helps. I've played both maple and rosewood necked teles before, and maple just seems the natural choice. Know idea why I feel like that, though. I suspect it may be due to the fact that I refuse to sell any of my guitars, so if I go maple and then change my mind 6 months later, the only way to fix the problem would be another guitar purchase. :lol:

Camera's still charging. Pics will be up as soon as its done its thing.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

ReplyQuote
(@musica23)
Reputable Member

Bish wrote:
Musica, I would really like to see some pix of your guitar collection. I also know sooner or later you WILL own a PRS. :wink:

Lastly, GAS days are never over. Trust me.

I've finally got a printer, scanner, etc. All I have to do is hook it up this weekend and take some pics! I should have 'em anyway (along with the serial numbers) for insurance purposes, so it shouldn't be long now! :!:

Also, Bish, ya missed a couple of chapters (not that I wrote 'em!)...I now own 2 PRS's! I got a silver Tremonti SE on clearance last year and an SE Custom cherry burst stoptail, too. I had the pups on the Tremonti switched out (the stock pups were way too thin and trebly for my taste), and I had PRS send me new volume pots. When the work was finally completed correctly, I was very happy with the JB in the bridge/Jazz in the neck combo, but the pots are still lacking. As for the SE Custom, I find it great (esp. for the money) as is. But if I get that Blue Matteo SE Custom (it's up to "the doctor"), I plan on having the shop hot rod it with PRS pups...just for fun. :D I did have an opportunity to play a high end model (not sure which one) and you're right...it was superb. But I sincerely doubt I'll ever be buying one (barring a lottery win, that is!). :(

As for GAS days never being over, I know you're right again. However, my very life depends upon stopping the madness and getting more into playing! This means I may need to avoid certain places (such as this forum!), people and things. I have an addictive personality (to say the least), but I'll need to switch to another addiction (i.e., practicing guitar!) effective now or lose my husband (and my mind). This is serious biz. :shock:

Anyway, to lighten things up a bit...it's nice to see ya! And hopefully I'll have some pics available to post very soon!

Take care,
Cindy

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Just how many guitars do you have Cindy? Sounds like you might have as many as me? :lol:

I got 3 more not in the picture. :mrgreen:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@musica23)
Reputable Member

Hi Scrybe! :)

As for my writing a review on the JB Strat, I hardly feel qualified as I'm not any good at all with the technical aspects of a guitar. I barely change my own strings (9's!). However, I can tell you this...good or bad, the JB will not sound the same as your American Std.! The pups are dual-coil noiseless (designed by Jeff, I believe, or with his specs in mind, at least) and they are mighty! I have an American Deluxe Ash Strat and the 1957 commemorative I mentioned before, and the 3 are very different from one another tonally. Obviously, they all still give off the distinctive Strat sound, but they each sound noticeably different (just enough to be justified!). Have you played the JB? Just wondering... :D

Besides the feel of the neck, the LSR roller nut, the contoured heel, and the signature on the headstock (cuz I love Jeff!), those pickups are what makes this my favorite of all the guitars I own (soon to be pictured here somewhere, hopefully!). These pickups are just plain rude when you want 'em to be. And they simmer down when that's what's called for, too. They're not exactly humbucker-like, but they're not really all single coil, either...somewhere in the middle, I'd say and powerful in a great way (IMHO)! :twisted: And definitely noiseless. :D

If that's a review, then there ya go... :? That's about all I have to offer in the way of one. Obviously, I highly recommend the JB Strat as a quality instrument. But we've all got different taste, so... That's why I have so many different guitars (besides the addiction factor). The Mexican Tele I picked up the other night for under $400 out the door is a terrific buy IMO. My taste isn't limited to high or low end gear. (My budget can't afford either. :shock: ) I only know what plays and sounds good to me, and the JB is my #1 favorite! :D :D :D

Good luck in your adventures, Scrybe! I hope I've helped in some way with my quasi review!

Take care,
Cindy

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4