Clear all

Potential GAS...

51 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@musica23)
Reputable Member

TRGuitar wrote:
Just how many guitars do you have Cindy? Sounds like you might have as many as me? :lol:

Quite possibly, TR. I'll get back to ya on that. Gotta go do a head count...(Are we counting acoustics and basses here???)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

ReplyQuote
(@musica23)
Reputable Member

OK...I'm back with some numbers, TR... :lol:

Electrics: 21 (3 Fender Strats, 4 Fender Teles, 3 Squier '51's, 2 Gibson SG's, 1 Gibson Les Paul, 2 PRS SE's, 2 Schecters, 1 Aria Pro II, 2 Ibanez's, 1 Gretsch...I hope I haven't forgotten anyone... :? )

Electric Basses: 4 (1 Rickenbacker 4003, 1 Cort, 1 Epiphone Allen Woody Signature, 1 Vantage Fretless)

Acoustics: 3 (1 Ovation Acoustic/Electric, 1 Madeira, 1 no name classical)

...for a grand total of 28. Pics to come soon! :D

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

ReplyQuote
(@musica23)
Reputable Member

OMG! I completely forgot about my recent find on eBay! Here's a picture of my very first "real" electric guitar:

The last time I saw it was in '76 in San Francisco. I figure it's possible that this one really is my original as the Australian seller said it came from the U.S. I'll never know for sure, but it's still the exact same model as my original Decca!

That brings my grand total to 29. Looks like I'm gonna need to even things out by going for that blue PRS after all, Bish... :shock:

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Wow, you got worse gas than I do! :lol: How long you been working at this? I've been playing since 1977 but collecting since 1992. I've just run out of places to put them. :roll:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I have to say a big thank you to both TR and Cindy now - I was sat there last night with a list of guitars purchased, guitars due to come in, and guitars I want after this initial splurge, and I was wondering how to justify it all. Fortunately, I now have 'proof' that my rig will be comparatively moderate, so I can go ahead with my acquisitions utterly guilt-free.

Actually, I am a bit tempted by the Squire '51 which is still available here for 100 quid. That might get added to the list. Unfrtunately, my camera charger's broke :( so the pics will have to wait.

Cindy - nope I've not tried the JB strat :( I just really love his music and when I play stuff like Brush With The Blues, I drive my strat as hard as it'll go, but it still falls short of Jeff's sound. Call it an obsession, but he's a major influence in where I want my playing to go, and I can tell that some of the stuff I'm trying to do would be easier on a higher end guitar. Obv, I'd wanna try the guitar before buying it, but I'm pretty much sold on it already. And yes, that quasi-rview was a sufficient review - my JB strat fund is now started, lol.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@musica23)
Reputable Member

I was fine, TR, until August of 2006. That's when my husband quite unexpectedly brought home a cheapie set of drums. At that time I owned 2 electric guitars (the Aria and an Ibanez Roadstar II), 1 acoustic/electric (the Ovation), and 2 basses (the Rickenbacker and the fretless Vanguard). Not bad, huh??? I hadn't played regularly or at all for at least 25 years!

My hubby got so extremely into the thought of playing music that it rubbed off on me...to say the least. He traded in the cheapie set for a very decent set of PDPs. I got into buying Zildjian cymbals ,timbales, etc. Then I decided to take bass lessons. In order to do that, of course, it became necessary for me to purchase a reasonably priced bass (a Cort) so I wouldn't have to take my vintage Rickenbacker to lessons. Also, I needed a new bass amp (a Fender Rumble 100). Then I saw the Allen Woody Epi short-scale bass...short-scale! Perfect for me! :D

I'm not entirely sure how it finally happened, but by the end of a month or so of bass lessons, I returned to my first love: guitar. And the rest, as they say, is history. Thanks to some much-needed encouragement from my hubby and all subsequent instructors and bystanders, I've been steadily playing electric guitar ever since and loving it. Unfortunately, my husband's passion for playing has slowed to pretty much of a halt. Every now and then I'll hit a cymbal as I walk by his neglected drumkit. :|

Are ya glad ya asked or what??? :lol: To go along with my newer guitars, it was also crucial that I purchase an amp. I recklessly chose a Line 6 Spider II 212 as I only had a couple of old pedals and thought the newfangled modeling amps were kinda cool. That thought didn't last long. A couple of months later, I needed a tube amp (my first...a Fender Blues Jr. 8) ). By this time, the charm of playing was wearing thin for my hubby and he began to wonder what I was getting into. :o

Many months and guitars later, he knows what I now must get out of! :cry: I managed to get a final hurrah by buying a few things for my farewell performance of spending...an Epi Valve head and cab, a Fender Blues Deluxe Tweed Reissue, and a very sneakily thrown in Orange Tiny Terror (which caused Terrible Trouble between my hubby and me for a while). Also on order before my deadline was a Fender Mexican Tele which I picked up the other night. Due to my acquisition of the Orange TT, I may need to forfeit my bid on a PRS SE Custom in Blue Matteo (w/trem) when it comes in (as I said I would). However, my hope is that if I'm very, very good until that one comes in, he may let me have another fun finale. :oops: I'm bad and I know it, though, so I'll understand if he doesn't allow it. Who could blame him...right??? :?:

So that's my story. Previous to guitars it was designer handbags...perfume...jewelry...I obviously need help. :?

Take care!

:D :D :D :D :D

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

ReplyQuote
(@musica23)
Reputable Member

Scrybe wrote (in part):
...I just really love his music and when I play stuff like Brush With The Blues, I drive my strat as hard as it'll go, but it still falls short of Jeff's sound. Call it an obsession, but he's a major influence in where I want my playing to go...

Ditto! (Note my avatar.) JB is my all-time favorite guitarist and it's no coincidence that my fave guitar is his signature model. (Not that it's at all ugly, but it's certainly not an eye catching guitar compared to many others...) You've simply got to play one! I'm not saying I can play like Jeff, but I can get quite close to his current sound thanks to that Strat (and a bit of trickery... :wink: ). And if you've never seen him live, that's a must, too! He's just amazing. I was fortunate enough to meet him a few years back and it was quite a thrill. He was very nice and seemed a bit shy. I was surprised as I'd always heard stories of his big ego. It wouldn't have mattered to me if he'd been downright rude, though! :D

Anyway, I'm glad I could help relieve some guilt for ya. I think... :shock:

Take care!

:D :D :D

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Jeeeez, you long winded posters.... Nothin' gets to me more than that!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey there!
Good to see ya M23 :D

Hmmmm, well perhaps if we could re-direct your 'passion' for handbags, perfume, jewelry, and musical instruments....

Something like...... Writing comes to mind! :wink:
As long as you don't start collecting vintage typewriters....... (like I did) :mrgreen:

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Lol, Cindy you could always try arguing that its his fault that you got back into playing and thus, buying, guitars. Also, guitars hold their price much better than handbags and/or perfume when in use. But if you ever do have to sell your gear, PM me first. :wink:

I saw Jeff twice at the Royal Festival Hall in London 2002 - it was a three day run he had, doing an 'overview' of his whole career. One night had Paul Simon doing vocals on some JB Group stuff and John McLaughlin joining him on the jazzier stuff, another night had the White Stripes backing him and singing on the Yardbirds material. Suffice it to sya that on both nights I sat in awe of his masteyr of the guitar - especially loved it when he did Hi Ho Silver Lining, just because he wsa like "Not this f'ing rubbish" as the band started the tune, and in the solo he played one handed, while sticking two fingers down his throat, lol. He doesn't gig in England as much as the US and Japan, but I'm hoping to catch more shows. His last UK dates were with Buddy Guy, who I really wanna see live, but they were during my finals exams at Oxford so I couldn't go. :cry:

I'm quite fortunate that I've started doing some film score work, so I'm justifying guitar purchases on account of needing a range of sounds to put on various pieces - lol, its ike "yeah but that one has soapbars and I don't have any guitars with soapbars so I need it!

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

ReplyQuote
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member

All this talk of JB, with a first name Jeff, are you wafflin on about Jeff Buckley! Because he is a total legend!

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229
Fender STD American Telecaster (Cola Red) - £849
Vox 15watt AMP (Valve pre amp) - £129
Acoustic/Electric Rhythm and Lead (Occasionally) Southport Elim Youth Band
Former Aftershock 24/7 Rhythm Guitarist (Band split)

ReplyQuote
(@musica23)
Reputable Member

CitiZenNoir wrote:
Something like...... Writing comes to mind! :wink:
As long as you don't start collecting vintage typewriters....... (like I did) :mrgreen:

Hi Ken! Long time, no talk. Also, long time, no writing...for me, that is... :oops: My forthcoming book has been postponed. Indefinitely. Due to procrastination on my part. :(

Vintage typewriters??? Doesn't interest me in the lea....vintage, huh??? Like in "Naked Lunch"?????? Hmmmmm.... :shock: Yes, I believe I could become obsessed with nearly anything. With the possible exception of starting on writing a book (unless ya count all my posts here...sorry... :| ).

Anyway, good to see you, too, Ken! I hope all's well with you. Take care!

M23 (I kinda like that...) :D :D :D

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

ReplyQuote
(@musica23)
Reputable Member

Scrybe - I've pretty much tried those arguments. And every other one I could possibly think of! But thanks anyway for the suggestion! The problem lies within me, I'm afraid. :cry:

So glad you've seen Jeff (Beck, Wattsiepoops, though I agree that Jeff Buckley is/was quite talented)! Everyone should have that opportunity, especially if they play guitar. Too bad ya missed Buddy Guy, though. He's amazing, too, and seems to be a very nice guy. (I'd have loved to have seen The White Stripes backing Jeff! That sounds fantastic!)

Your closing "soapbar" comment was me to a tee. Now it's all gotta stop. In a way, I feel relieved. (Hmmmm...wonder how long that'll last... :?: )

Thanks, good luck and take care! I'll post pics if I ever figure out how to do it!

Cindy

:D :D :D

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Nope, we're talking about Jeff Beck who is an absolute legend and master of the guitar. Go to youtube and type his name in. Jeff Buckley is also, IMO, a legendary gifted musician, but the fact that he was dead in 2002 would have made a three day spot at the RFH rather difficult. :roll:

I love Buckley doing Van Morrison's The Way Young Lovers Do - awesome performance. But if you like him, be sure to check out his dad, Tim Buckley, who is also amazing, though his albms run the gamut of styles. I'd deffo recommend the album Happy/Sad which kickstarted my interest in Tim and, subsequently, Jeff.

I'm actually relly pleased with my Ibanez. I only bought it for taking to jam nights and quick recording of acoustic stuff since it has an inbuilt pickup (the Martin would require a certain amount of microphone faffing). I had an upper limit of 400quid, but wanted to keep the price as low as possible, so I wouldn't be too fussed if it picked up the odd ding here or there, or if it got nicked. But, having been practically glued to it for the past few days (ah, I love getting aquainted with a new axe :mrgreen: ), I've surmised that it has a really great jazz tone, I've been compin a lot and it stands up well, and the harmoniics are really bright and pop out in the air. I've only used it acoustic so far at home, but when my mum buggers off to work later tonight, the Marshall JTM45 is deffo getting plugged in. 8) Seriously though, anyone looking for an acoustic guitar for jazzy or bluesy stuff should really check this one out. It has a dark tone to it, which I love, and is a steal at the price I paid (and probs even more of a steal at US rates, too).

Lol, I'm looking at a pic of the Squire '51 right now, and really contemplating it. :oops: I figure I could possibly stretch to that and get a rosewood tele paying the tele off in installments. Then save for a JB strat for this time next year, quickly followed by a maple necked tele. The '51 will suffice at creating maple-necked tele-style sounds for a year or so, and if it gets 'replaced' by the maple-necked tele in 12 months, it will still be a good guitar for hosting electric jam nights. I used to use my strat for hostin jam nights, and the nerves I felt when other people played it were horrendous, lol.

Btw, anyone into bluesy guitar playing really should check out "Driftin' Blues" at Hank Van Sickle's mypace page. Its the bluesbreakers with Robben Ford on vox and guitar, live cut. Van Sickle's the bassist in the Bluesbreakers and a seriously good egg. Anyway, the URL is http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=72477774 8)

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

ReplyQuote
(@musica23)
Reputable Member

Just read your post re: a Squier '51, Scrybe. I'm not sure if you're able or are interested, but you could pick up a Mexican maple board Tele for a great price (not as great as the Squier, of course). And you may even be satisfied enough with it that you could skip an American one. Just a thought, since I just got my Mex Tele and am lovin' it! I've also got an American (rosewood board) which is the 60th anniversary addition. Talk about nerves... :shock: I'm much more comfortable with the new one and it really seems of great quality to me. Take care! :D :D :D

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

ReplyQuote
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member

Just youtubed beck and he is awesome!

As for the buckley family, my ex girlfriend got me into both of them, and damien rice all at the same time, Its dissapointing that Jeff got chopped up by a boat in 02 as i only discovered him in 07 and would love to have seen him perform, the only song i didnt like of his was Mojo Pin, to be honest it didnt make much musical sence to me, but still, that album is amazing. Havent heard much of his dad but what i have heard is awesome.

But my new found love of solo male musicians, whatever instrument they play, is James Morrison, I love the passion he puts into his music and you can tell he puts a lot of feeling into his music, that makes or breaks a song for me, the passion behind it, driving it on.

One reason why i dont like most Gangster/Comericial/ R+B music, most of it pointless babble about "Bitches and Hoes" (Sorry for the language) and drugs. But you do get the occasional meanigful song, like R Kellys, The worlds Greatest.

Sorry for the huge insight into my musical tastes, someone start talking about their GAS again to get this back on topic!

David

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229
Fender STD American Telecaster (Cola Red) - £849
Vox 15watt AMP (Valve pre amp) - £129
Acoustic/Electric Rhythm and Lead (Occasionally) Southport Elim Youth Band
Former Aftershock 24/7 Rhythm Guitarist (Band split)

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4