Skip to content
PowerTabs with Atti...

Notifications
Clear all

PowerTabs with Attitude and it's giving me one.

14 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Well as much of a smart@$$ as I can be I've been humbled by a stupid program or maybe it's just that I'm a stupid user.

I'm working with PowerTabs and d/l'd some of my more favorite songs.

The scoring seems pretty right on for most of the ones I'm listening to and trying to learn.

My problem is that I can load a song, it plays fine and I can hear all the different parts. I can go to another song and it might or might not play fine. Meaning I might or might not hear all the instruments. It's hit and miss. Then when I go back to the other song that played fine, now it too has attitude and will only play one instrument. I can click on the option for guitar in...and it unchecks the guitar. Then I click it again and it brings up a list of the available instruments. I click all the check boxes so I can hopefully hear all the instruments. But NO, it doesn't have any effect.

If I go back to it say the next day it will sometimes work. Might, might not. It's very aggrevating and was wondering if anyone else uses it or has this problem. This is driving me to go play the drums... :x :x

Any help will gladly be tried.

Thanks gang.

Signed

PO'd about PT. :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

Some of those tracks don't have the other instruments in them. Also if you try and have two PT's open at once one of them tends to get screwed up.(least that's been my experience) Or lastly there's a problem with your computer and the running of the program.

I generally use PT's to get the gist of what is going on and then spend the rest of the time playing with the cd. As with any tablature done by various people, stuff isn't always accurate. They have some tabs there that are so close to the actual song it's scary and some that are just so far out in left field that it isn't funny.

Maybe one of the computer gurus around here can diagnose the problem and help fix it better. :D

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member

*Edit, I missunderstood your problem, but I'll leave my post incase its of some help to others using powertab.

I find that the easiest way to get rid of certain instruments from playing is to change their midi sound in guitar setup to "breath noise", a very quiet sound that is almost completely drowned out when anything else is playing.

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

why not give us links to the songs that work and the songs that don't and see if we can recreate your problem.

You might have a version of PT that is buggy and need updates.

I'm using ver 1.7 b80. I don't use it that often but I can't recall problems with it. As I'm not a frequent user I probably haven't encountered all the bugs.

Michael

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

TF, my PC is a hotrod -3.2 Sony VIAO with 2 GB Ram, 3.2 processor and ATI 9800 356MB Vid card.

Mikey, that was good questioning. I'm on the same version. Here's where I get my tabs from.

http://www.powertabs.net/pta.php?page=browse

I have randomly picked the songs by artist. Most specifically, Def Leppards-Photograph, VanHalens-Top of the World, Green eyed Lady - Sugarloaf.

Like I said above. I can play the tab and all instruments are there, the next time all I'll hear is the click track. Now as a side note, if I turn the volume on my stereo up to about half, I can hear one instrument in the background very faint. Then next time, it'll be up front. I just don't know what changes or how to listen to a specific instrument "on demand" if you will.

Thanks for the responses.

Bish

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

TF, my PC is a hotrod -3.2 Sony VIAO with 2 GB Ram, 3.2 processor and ATI 9800 356MB Vid card.

What operating system? XP I'm guessing.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Sorry, yes XP Pro.

Bish

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

http://www.power-tab.net/downloads.php

Try dl'ing the most recent version...other than that, I'd give new sound drivers a try.

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

Bish,

Tried to recreate your problem and couldn't. Downloaded the songs you mentioned. Played them repeatedly, changing them back and forth, put the guitars in and out with expected results.

Software seemed to work fine under all conditions.

You might want to check the PowerTab website. They have a knowledge base and it seems that intermitant sound on some systems is a known bug. http://www.power-tab.net/getarticle.php?id=44

There is also a forum there where you can ask for help. Sorry, about the best I can do for ya.

Michael

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

That's a good suggestion mikey. ALso, when's the last time you did a completely turned off for 30 seconds reboot? XP is notorious for not freeing up memory even after you've closed every program.

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I'm on the road traveling all week for software training for my company.

As should be obvious, I took my guitar, practice amp, headphones, and laptop (with Powertabs installed and all the songs I have downloaded.)

I hooked up the laptop, installed Powertabs, unzipped a couple of songs I knew were giving me trouble and tested. So far so good. I can hear all instruments.

So I'll be able to get some more studying in at night while alone.

Have to have a serious look at my home PC when I get back....Going to kick some arse if need be. :D

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Bish

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I have an update.

Long, lonely nights alone in my hotel room helps to get one focused.

I was playing to some tabs and eventually got back to playing on some of my originals. While strumming the chords and singing to myself I had an idea pop in my head as to a tag along lead. But how do I listen to both to proof it? POWER TABS!!!! :D :D

I actually tabbed out one of my songs and figured out how to add multiple guitars. I'm stoked (as the saying goes.) This is outrageous. After I figured out how to score a song I found the score checker and got to the point where I had no errors and the song is over 3 minutes. How much time did it take? I got back to my room about 5:15 pm and finally forced myself to bed around 3:30 am. :oops:

I'm not feeling the tiredness yet. But I'm thinking after lunch this should be interesting. I'm going to work on a couple of my other songs tonight and tomorrow night. They should go faster since I have the mechanics figured out. This program is certainly redeeming itself.

SO how can I share my tabs with you guys? Do I post the tab to an ftp site or somewhere else and whomever has POWER TABS can download and play it?

Bish

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

Or you could jsut post the tabs on your site or someplace similar and we could get them from there.

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hmmm, wonder why I didn't see this post until now?

I got two more songs tabbed last night.

I'll work on my ftp site to see if I can get the download to work as needed. I'll let you know...

Thanks, TF!! :D

Bish

ReplyQuote