Clear all

practice blahs

11 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

what do you do when playing just feels boring? i just can't seem to get comfortable. i don't know if it's just this new guitar or my p.o.s. amp, but i haven't been enjoying practice for a while now.

(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

When you get bored of practicing monotonous things, play some songs. Making music never gets old. Put on a record and jam to it. This is how I have been "practicing" for a while now.

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I go in stretches where all I want to do is work on technique. Then I'll get to where all I want to do is learn new songs, or refine old one's. Then I'll get into a theory kick . . . eventually I work back to all I want to do is technique again.

I keep myself moving forward by doing several things.

First, I make sure that I have clear, defined, measurable practice goals for the week, the month, quarter and year. I make sure that I have goals defined for a variety of areas -- technique, songs, improv skills, ear training, etc.

Then I take the time to plan out my practice sessions so that everything I do in practice is aimed at meeting those goals.

Lastly, I don't let practice time be the limit of my playing time. I have "noodle" time where the only rule is that I have to be doing something related to my instrument. I can be learning new songs, learning songs outside my favorite genre, working on wierd techniques I'll never actually use except in noodle time, seeing if I can play scales with my tongue, whatever . . .

The regiment of my practice schedule and goals keeps me moving forward. The freedom to do what I want noodling around lets me have fun. Sometimes I still have to work through the "blahs," but after a bit something will catch my imagination and I'll be off to the races again.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Whenever I get like that I either go and refresh myself on things not done in a while or look for other things to learn that I consider a little challenging for me at this stage. Sometimes I do both.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Take a week off............

Day 1 - Stupid guitar, what are you looking at!

Day 2 - I don't need you.

Day 3 - I'm sorry baby, I didn't mean all those things I said. Here, let me strum you a little.

Seriously though, take a couple of days off.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I usually follow a pettern similar to KP, I'll switch to doing mostly technical stuff for awhile then go to a period of just learning new/refining old songs and back and forth just to mix it up.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Take a week off............

Day 1 - Stupid guitar, what are you looking at!

Day 2 - I don't need you.

Day 3 - I'm sorry baby, I didn't mean all those things I said. Here, let me strum you a little.

Seriously though, take a couple of days off.

Is that how you get your wife to forgive you Mike! :lol: 8) :lol: 8) :lol: 8) :lol: :wink: :wink: :wink:

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

In order for that to happen, I would have to admit I was wrong, and well, that just never happens. :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

In order for that to happen, I would have to admit I was wrong, and well, that just never happens. :roll:

I take it she doesn't read this forum! :wink:

Sorry to highjack the thread with my poor humor! :oops:

I agree with kingpatzer in that there are so many things to be accomplished that if you are bored with one thing move to another. If you just don't feel like playing then take a few days off. I used to be the person who HAD to play everyday (as many may remember :oops: ). Now taking a few days off doesn't bother me...

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Or do what Mikespe and I seem to be doing on a regular basis, add a relatively cheap new pedal to the effects chain and experiment with some new sounds or songs.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@progressions)
Reputable Member

I'd been noticing this same thing this week, I was practicing but not feeling very inspired.

I decided to take a crack at songs that I'd never thought I could play before, for whatever reason. Working on "Whole Lotta Love"'s lead break now--for some reason I'd got it into my head years ago that it was incredibly complex and beyond me.

Kind of a surprise to find it's not that tough after all!

Jeff

Isaac Priestley: World Racketeering Squad
http://www.progressions.org/
http://www.youtube.com/worldracketeer

ReplyQuote