Clear all

Practice Help

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@mjmark223)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi I've had a guitar for about 3 years and for the last year or so I've been taking weekly lessons. Recently I had to stop taking lessons and plan to get back in January.

Anyway I seem to be more interested in scales and keys and making my own riffs, progressions etc. Do you think I should also practice songs? I look at songs that I like by a player I like and wind up trying to find what scale form they use in their solo's and use that as creative material to make my own. ( Clapton, Jack White)

I guess what I'm trying to ask is learning to play a song note for note as important as practicing scales and theory? I want to still improve as a player even though I won't have a teacher to help me out so any ideas or practice tips of your own will be greatly appreciated.

(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Some people hate theory and just learn the music, other people love theory and hate learning things note by note. I think it's great that you like doing both, but I have to say knowing both theory and being able to play a few songs is a great idea. Now, you don't have to learn EVERY solo note for note, but sometimes it can be a good idea to learn a few licks from different solos.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

All the theory in the world is no use to you if you can't play a song from start to finish.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@mjmark223)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the feedback. I guess it's a little of both that will make a well rounded guitar player.

I do feel as if I'm in a practicing rut right now though. You guys ever feel that way? If so what did you do to get out of it?

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Well, learning songs note for note is just about all I did when I was first learning. I heard those great sounds and wanted to know how to make them myself. And if you listen to most great guitarists, you can easily hear their influences. Listen to John Frusciante from the Red Hot Chili Peppers for just a minute and you can tell he spent a lot of time copying Hendrix.

So this is a great way to learn. But you don't want to spend all your time on one artist or you will begin to sound just like that guitarist yourself. No, copy lots of good guitarists you know. If you have influences from many different guitarists this will come together to give you your own individual style and sound.

But study scales and theory and learn how to read. This will just make you a better guitarist and could open up possiblities like playing as a studio musician.

So, have a balance. Play with your brain and with your ears.

I've never felt like I was in a practicing rut, have felt like my playing wasn't progressing. But as far as practice, there is so much to know. Try something new. Study modes, or Jazz, or speed picking, fingerpicking.... it is really almost endless what you can study. And listen to a variety of music too. I read once that Hendrix loved Classical music like Beethoven, had many albums and listened to this music all the time. Different types of music will open up your imagination.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote