Clear all

speaking of lessons...

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@soundsgood)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

i've been playing for about 9yrs,never taken any formal lessons,so i wouldn't mind checking it out .how much per hour do you guys pay for lessons? 8)

gibsonSG standard/gallagher"doc watson" acoustic

(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Welcome to GN. Look forward to seeing you around the forums.

I currently pay £20 per hour for weekly lessons. My son goes toe a different teacher and pays £18 per half hour fotnightly. Both are very good teachers and both have very different styles of teaching.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@soundsgood)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

thanks for the welcome,this site is great.do you find the hour lesson too much to cram in your head without practising what he s shown?

gibsonSG standard/gallagher"doc watson" acoustic

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I charge £15 for a full hour, or £8 for a half hour, but then I have a full-time job Monday to Friday and teach because it's fun.

Students up to 13 years old, I tend to keep to half hour lessons. Above that age I find they can generally handle a full hour. I fill the hour with a bit of blues improvisation to warm up, some theory, and some song work which includes a recap on what we studied last time to make sure it sank in. I do insist that my students practice between lessons and and make sure I give them work to do between lessons. I can usually tell when they haven't; I'd be surprised if any of them felt they didn't need to.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

do you find the hour lesson too much to cram in your head without practising what he s shown?

It can be a bit heavy at times, depending what we're working on, but on the whole it's pretty cool. We usually start by ironing out any problems I've encountered the previous week, followed by a few minutes of me playing any pieces/techniques he gave me to practice to make sure I've nailed it. We'll then develop that or start on a new song/technique as required. He strikes a good balance between theory and practice and always manages to keep it interesting.

I always look forward to my lessons so I guess he's doing a good job. :D

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

$20 / 1/2 hr is my usual rate, but I also have a few promising students that I do hourly lessons @ $30/hr.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I can't find anything less than US$30 for a 1/2-hour in my area.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@xposed)
Estimable Member

Learning by example is a powerful way to learn.

You would advance real fast if you studied the "why" behind what some of the most famous guitarists are doing.

You could learn more about the why, how much theory do you know?

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I pay $16 per half hour.

Having a good teacher is invaluable -- it's like having a good coach.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote