Clear all

Prepping Electric for Slide

16 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@sgt-pepper)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Having an PRS Santana SE, my electric is equipped with a stop-tail and an action too low to play slide.

Heres a Picture:
http://www.prsguitars.com/showcase/current/santanase_ts.html

The obvious choice is simply raising the action using the two screws attached to the stop-tail; however, this is also how to set up the guitar's intonation. Perhaps I simply don't know enough about guitar intonation's, but how will an incorrectly intonated guitar effect playability.

Thanks

(@guitar_monkey)
Estimable Member

go here. the vid has a wierd name but shows how. http://www.askcorran.com/flash/chipndales.htm

YEAH! GUITAR ROCK! I ROCK! YOU ROCK! HAHA, YEAH RIGHT. LOL. ROCK ON!

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member

I know you think its hilarious, but could you stop spamming that in multiple threads?

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
(@sgt-pepper)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I was hoping for that video to at least be slightly funny... oh well :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@catalina3899)
Estimable Member

And I was beginning to think this could never happen at GN :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

It was bound to pop up eventually.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Having an PRS Santana SE, my electric is equipped with a stop-tail and an action too low to play slide.

Heres a Picture:
http://www.prsguitars.com/showcase/current/santanase_ts.html

The obvious choice is simply raising the action using the two screws attached to the stop-tail; however, this is also how to set up the guitar's intonation. Perhaps I simply don't know enough about guitar intonation's, but how will an incorrectly intonated guitar effect playability.

Thanks

If I were you, I would talk to someone at the store you bought it from, they could probably raise the strings and have it set up properly for not a huge sum of money (if you bought it from the internet or something then find a music store and talk to someone who works there). I don't think that bad intonation will affect the playability of a slide guitar (although I could be wrong), i just think it will sound terrible if you try to fret any notes.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@sgt-pepper)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Yeh, that what i think will be the problem, which wouldnt be bad if I had more the one electric, but I dont. It would be nice to alternate between slide and frets whenever, but I am not sure if it is possible with my guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

I don't understand why the action is too low. I can play slide on my aucotsic and it has very low action. Have you tried?

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member

I believe you can play slide on a guitar with regular action, its just harder because you can't push down too much or you hit the frets. Since you'd have to be a little more careful, maybe this would help out your technique.

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
(@sgt-pepper)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Perhaps i may simply need to get used to the action, but im kind of doubtful. I can play slide on my actoustic fairly well, which I believe to be with low action, but when it comes to that election there is simply too little room for error. Playing one string with the slide may not be too much of a trouble, but when trying to play say the first three strings on that arched bridge the issue comes into play.

ReplyQuote
(@rsadler)
Reputable Member

I've seen many posts by him that were obvious post counts bumps. I never thought I'd see that here either

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

If the action's really low and the fretboard's very arched (I can't imagine why anybody ever thought arched fretboards were a good idea), it makes complete 6-string barre chords with the slide difficult, but you seldom want to do that. Typically going to heavier strings, say .011 or .012", will raise the action PLENTY for easy slide playing and keep it frettable. You definitely don't want to raise the strings so much that all you can do is slide. That gets old in a hurry without some fretted stuff mixed in. As you play for a while you'll (hopefully) develop a good positional sense with your sliding hand so that you stop the slide just in the right position without knocking into the fretboard. Then you don't really need heavy, tight strings, or a high action.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Oh yeah: Another way of dealing with the arched fretboard and strings issue is to use a slide with a matching curve. Many wine bottle necks have a concave profile that matches a Fender-style neck perfectly. (Fenders have the most tightly arched fretboards I've seen.)

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

You could try one of these:

http://www.tonetoys.de/de/Extension_Nut.html

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2