Clear all

What I got.....

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@cmaracz)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Well, yesturday, my dad's neighbour gave me his guitar. Yeah, it's a pretty nice gift :)

It's a Fender DG-7. Much nicer than my Yamaha FG-31. Only one slight problem, we both thought it was a solid top and back guitar. The thing has weird wood, and from my limited contact with that guitar and solid top guitars they seemed pretty much the same. Well obviously since I couldn't outright tell it was a laminated top, it must pretty much mean that I don't really need a solid top, yet. Which is the whole thing, I am really glad to have it, yet, what about when it's time to switch up to solid soundboards? It would be kind of difficult putting a side a gift like that. Any suggestions? I mean it's a niceinstrument, but I would liek something that I know I can keep with me for years, something that gets better with age which modifications and upgrades would be worthwhile, and soemtime soon too. I don't see how thios oculd be that instrument, and it'd be kind of akward to set it aside so soon.

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

If you like how it sounds, I fail to see the problem.

If and when you get a solid top, you still don't need to put it aside, use it for alternate tunings or raise the action and use it for slide.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@cmaracz)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Haha, yes, I forgot about slide guitar. Thanks.

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

If you like how it sounds, who cares if it's made of cardboard or plastic. Martin makes a guitar with an aluminum top! I played a DG7 once...nice guitar.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@david-m1)
Estimable Member

What a nice gift. I bought my first guitar about a year and a half ago it was a used laminated acoustic, I played it for six months before I bought the guitar I have now. I gave my first guitar to a friend who wanted to learn to play.

Sometimes I wish I still had that guitar, it was my first.

There is allways a place for a second guitar especially an inexpensive laminated model, you can take it outdoors and play with no worry about the heat and humity, or the cold, also a second guitar comes in handy if you ever want to have your primary guitar worked on, if friends come over even if they dont play you can use it to show them a few chords and have a friendly jam session. So go ahead and get that guitar you really want, but there will allways room for the one your friend gave you.

ReplyQuote