Skip to content
Notifications
Clear all

Pride & Joy Confusion?

38 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

I am working on Pride & Joy by Stevie Ray Vaughn (I know a but advanced but I'm adapting wher I can) and I am a bit confused around the end of the 4th measure where he hits the open treble strings (I have the song book with liscenced tab). It looks something like this:

e----↓--0-----------
B----↓--0----------
G----↓--0---------
D---------------
A------------------
E-----------------

Now the arrow in the book is one arrow not 3 and the vertical line of the arrow is a squiggly line (I hope I explained that right?)...What does that arrow mean? It's not in the notation legend of the book...

I tunes the guitar down a half step (all flats) and I must say I can play the first 3 measures sounding very close to Stevie (well OK...not THAT close!). The bends in the 4th measure are a bit challenging (with the prebends) but I think I can get the basics down if I can get the rhythm parts with the arrows. The filler notes in between will have to come later but I think this is a good song for me to learn. I remember trying this after 2 months and I couldn't even get the first measure! I got 4 measures just yesterday!

Thanks

(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I'm pretty sure it means to play it with an upstroke, and don't play it like a chord, play it like a fast arpeggio or a sweep. Good luck on learning it, I didn't discover SRV's music until a few years after playing.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I'm pretty sure it means to play it with an upstroke, and don't play it like a chord, play it like a fast arpeggio or a sweep. Good luck on learning it, I didn't discover SRV's music until a few years after playing.

Thanks Steve-O...that was fast! I know I won't be able to play the whole song for QUITE awhile. I am just trying to simplify it a bit leaving out some of the filler notes and the solo...VERY basic...and when you look at it that way it's really not all that bad to play...a lot of open strings and open chords...

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Good luck learning it dude. The rhythm he uses with open/muted strings is *really* tough. Far harder then it seems.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Yeah, it means upstroke, and immediatly palm mute. If you don't understand, listen to the song. 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@terminator)
Reputable Member

Doesn't it mean rake?

"No pain No gain!"- The Scorpions

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Yeah, it means upstroke, and immediatly palm mute. If you don't understand, listen to the song. 8)

I have been listening to the song and I thought I heard a mute there..however the book didn't list muting in that section but did in another...that's what was confusing. I sounded like a palm mute but what was written was contradictory...

Arjen,

I know it's hard...this is just a mini-project for me to work on little by little...there are some techniques in there that I need to learn for blues playing (like palm muting) and some slides and double stops...This is just one of those "example" songs to help me understand how various techniques are used. I did the same with Zeppelin's Over the Hill & Far Away...it's WAY above my head but it really helped me with hammer-on's and pull-off's...

Terminator, isn't a rake done over muted strings?

Thanks everyone...

ReplyQuote
(@terminator)
Reputable Member

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Mike, take a look at Little Brother's Vaughan Brothers lesson. It will sound VERY familiar. ;)

(And yes, it's an upstroke - LB goes into detail on it.)

Cheers,

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Mike, take a look at Little Brother's Vaughan Brothers lesson. It will sound VERY familiar. ;)

(And yes, it's an upstroke - LB goes into detail on it.)

Cheers,

HEY slejhamer! THANKS! I totally forgot about that lesson. I saw it a while back and knew it was too advanced for me. I just haqve been working on it and it's starting to come along...that gives me some "filler" notes to use in place of the ones I have (however it is VERY close to the original!)

Thanks again!

ReplyQuote
(@terminator)
Reputable Member

Where is that lesson?

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

http://littlebrother.nlpd.com/

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@terminator)
Reputable Member

TThanks, its a great site!

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Well I started practicing this last night and thanks to slejhamer for reminding me about LB's lesson on the Vaughn Bros I have a rough (and I mean VERY rough!) draft of the intro...

The only part I am having real trouble with is the 4th measure with the bends (you'll hear it! :oops: )...

I tuned down to all flats but didn't use much distortion (BARELY any) because I wanted it clean so I couls hear my mistakes.

Please let me know if I am on the right track!

Pride & Joy by mikespe

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

Well it seems like you are starting to catch the feel for it, etc. but the walking bass is not ....walking lol. It seems like you are just switching between two bass notes. Do you have a tab? The articulation between the walking bass and upstrokes on the open Em chord isn't too bad, but thats the trickiest part and you are doing well if you have just started this song and have never played this sort of deal before. I'm not sure if you are doing it this way, but make sure that you fret hand mute. Thats the way SRV did it and I think its probably the easiest in the long run, even though it will feel very awkward at first.

Things also kind of get reversed as you progress, like your placing too much emphasis on the upstrokes or something. Also, you don't play the Em > A6 quick change at the end of every second bass note change, just at the end of every second measure. Listen to the recording and you'll see what I mean.

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3